Won't start sometimes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 05:06 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Won't start sometimes

I have a 2005 X and had an identical situation 2 years ago and found my ipr was the cause of my intermittent starting issue. During that ordeal I did head studs, egr delete, injectors, updated dummy plugs and stand pipes. Has run great since til 2 weeks ago.
Took a short 10 minute trip, shut the truck off, came back 10 minutes later and wouldn't start. Cranks fine, but no fire. Came back next morning and started fine. Drove home, shut off and would not start again. I'm thinking hpo leak somewhere. At this point I ordered Auto Enginuity scan tool.
While waiting for its arrival, I air tested the system. Rigged up ipr and it closed, air hiss went away. Repeated opening and closing ipr and could hear air hiss start and stop as the ipr was actuated. After leaving air hooked up, and ipr shut for 45 seconds, I heard a slight gurgle. This confirmed my hpo leak, I thought. Figured I would test with AE when it arrived to confirm the oil leak was causing the no start.
Now, I can't get the truck to not start. Drove down highway at wot and icp and icp desired were both at 3900 psi in stock setting, give or take. Would think if I had a bad enough oil leak to cause no start, that I would see a discrepancy in the icp values? Can anyone confirm this? So, I'm now playing the waiting game, hoping it screws up again soon. Anyone have any ideas? Truck runs fine and no cel, except glow plug, which I replaced yesterday. Could putting air to the system affected anything that would cause it to start ok now? I can't imagine my ipr is bad again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2013, 05:10 PM

So, at this point I've warmed up the truck and attempted at least 40 restarts at various periods over the past 5 days. Has started every time. Leaving a sporting event this evening, it doesn't start! I was extremely anxious to get my pc up and running to find out why. It's been riding in the truck waiting for a no start. Get it hooked up and pull up all the sensors of interest and it fires right up! How frustrating! Would having the key on for 3 minutes while pulling up the AE scan tool have any affect on starting? Also, still looking for a response on icp vs icp desired at wot. Should there be a discrepancy if I have an oil leak causing a no start sometimes?

Last edited by LANDCRUISER4X4; 09-10-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Remember the IPR controls the pressure, so if it had to run at a higher duty cycle to get the desired pressure, it will. As a guess, if it is a HPO leak, sounds like the quick fitting at the hpop. New ones are threaded and can't pop open. Old ones can pop open until they hit the back of the hpop cover. They tend to close up again when the engine cools.

Start you truck and watch the IPR duty cycle. It'll tell you how 'hard' it's working to get the pressure needed. Hot idle should be around 26%

If it was your IPR again, I'd say it would always be a no start.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Last edited by Hauser; 09-10-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:23 PM

The ipr never went over 80% at wot. Was relatively low under normal acceleration. My truck does not have an stc fitting. It is actually an 04 motor. Yes and it is around 25% at idle and 580psi.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Old style motor. Ok, that changes things then. Could be a o ring on an injector or the hpop but it should either be a no start or long crank all the time. Your no start is a no start? Not just a starved for fuel sort of trying to start?

When it did start after the no start, was it a long crank?

Old 09-10-2013, 06:39 PM

When it starts, there is very little difference in crank time. It doesn't hiccup or anything at startup. Fuel pressure is good at 60+. It literally wouldn't start, so I booted the pc in the parking lot and 3 minutes later, after I pulled up all sensors, it fired right up! Very annoying! It did this to me 2 years ago, then finally quit for good. Was a bad ipr. So yes, it either pops right off, or doesn't start period. Or now, wait three minutes with the key on and it will start! Lol.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have seen 2 others like that before. One was the IPR, other was the ICP sensor. I'd change the ICP, since the IPR is relatively new.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:49 PM

When it left me stranded 2 weekends ago, I did unplug the icp sensor to see if it would start. It did not. I've read that it should start if the icp is the only cause of the no start. I don't know that to be true though. It's happened 4 times within the month now, so I'm hoping the next time I get to actually see what the heck is going on. Hopefully it happens at home so I can air test to make sure the ipr is working if my oil pressure is below 500 psi.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yes, it will start if the ICP is unplugged. The pcm won't use it for starting and running, And guesses at what the IPR should do.
If it's not your ICP, look for damage on the IPR screen. If so, replace it, or maybe just the screen since it does work most of the time. It may be getting stuck open by crap getting past your filter

Old 09-10-2013, 06:58 PM

Will do. The last time I replaced it we had everything off the top of the motor. Do you know if I can get it off without removing the turbo and not having the special socket? Thanks for your comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.