Sudden loss of hp and bad fuel mileage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 05:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sudden loss of hp and bad fuel mileage

Hey guys im not really sure where to start, but basically over the past week or so i have noticed my truck has slightly lower power and is getting very bad gas mileage where as before it was doing awsome. The lack of power i am judging by it used to be able to burn out very easily when pushing it from a slow roll and now it cant spin a tire. Also when on the highway it now has trouble holding speed and when getting it back up to speed i feel i have to push the pedal harder then normal. Gas mileage is so bad it has to have been cut in half or more. I have done a few things to the truck in the past month and im not sure when all this started exactly. First thing i did was i had to replace the water pump as it went out on me and started leaking like crazy. Next thing i did to the truck was install a stack. I also put on 6.4 banjo bolts while i was in there. I cant see how any of these would hurt me power wise but thats all i have done. Any idea's? It is coming time for a oil / fuel filter change could this be doing anything? Thanks

Last edited by trab; 09-06-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do you have any boost? Is it smoking? How does it idle?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-06-2013, 05:32 PM
Run in to my fist!

First of all, you got to get rid of the stack, they rob tons of power just kidding. Any DTC's? Did you remove any of the intercooler tubes during the water pump job? Check your intercooler boots.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

O i forgot to mention a few thing. I sometimes footbrake the truck at a stop and give it gas just to give a little smoke show, well i did this last week and yesterday and the truck died both times. Started back up afterwards just like normal and also i have been getting a code for a p0275(cylinder 5 contribution/balance). But ive been getting that code for about 6 months now... Yes i did acually did remove some intercooler piping while doing the water pump, and on the first test drive it blew the lower driver side one off. But i put it back on of course and it held fine after that, but i just checked it again tonight just to be sure and its still fine. I dont have a boost guage, but yes i can feel it boosting, how much im not sure. It idles perfect and no smoke other then when i push on it i get the normal black smoke.

Last edited by trab; 09-06-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:11 PM
Run in to my fist!

Could be a dying FICM which may be killing injectors as well.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:16 PM
Ordnance on coordinates

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you have a DTC, you should follow that clue. Check your ficm voltage.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok i will check the FICM voltage today and try to order a new injector for it. I did think about my problems last night and the fuel milleage problem really didnt start until very recently, the last thing i did to the truck was i pulled the EGR valve and cleaned it out. Wasnt really to dirty just sooty really. Think i could have screwed up something there?
Old 09-10-2013, 04:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I haven't gotten around to looking at the ficm yet but i believe ive found my problem. I did a fuel filter change and the shaft that the upper filter goes on was broken and stuck inside my filter. I ordered another assembly. But since taking out the broken part my fuel mileage is back to normal.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I replaced the broken valve in the fuel filter bowl, not sure what it was called. But the truck is back to normal.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trab View Post
I replaced the broken valve in the fuel filter bowl, not sure what it was called. But the truck is back to normal.
:thumbup:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.