Starter Bolts - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 07:10 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starter Bolts

I had something interesting happen on Friday. Went in to a store to purchase my wife a B-Day present. Came out and tried to start my truck. Nothing but grinding coming from the starter. When I looked under my truck both starter bolts had vibrated (I'm assuming) off. Had to call my wife (she got her present early) and have her take me to the local Ford dealership and purchase new bolts. The truck does have 162,000 miles but, I have never heard of this happening before. Has anyone else heard of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2008, 07:12 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
I have replaced my starter twice. Both times I have found at least one of the start bolts loose. Since then I have put loctite on the bolts and I have checked them every other oil change. So far they have not been found loose.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:33 PM

Thanks for the reply. I did use red locktite on the threads when I re-installed. I hope it keeps them in!
Old 06-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
I have replaced my starter twice. Both times I have found at least one of the start bolts loose. Since then I have put loctite on the bolts and I have checked them every other oil change. So far they have not been found loose.
Shoot, Good info.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:49 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Ok the first time I replaced the starter, the starter was just bad. Kinda like your situation. I went to the mall. When I came out truck would not start. Would not click, wouldn't do nothing. I had the truck towed home. The next morning off to the parts store for a new starter. Problem solved, the second time was the little wire on the starter kept coming loose. Ending up with the hole for the screw that holds the wire tight to the starter becoming stripped out. So lifetime warranty I replaced the starter for free. Then again for some reason that little bolt would not stay tight. So once again I replaced the starter again lifetime warranty. But this time I put a nut and bolt in place of that little screw. I put loc tite on that little nut and bolt. Since then I have not had a problem.

Now the mounting bolts the two times I had to replace the starter with the an aftermarket one. I found the bolts loose that held the starter in place. So the last time I replaced it I put loc tite on the bolts. Like I already said the bolts are still tight to this day.

Also if you have a 2002 F-250 and the starter goes out and you can't find the 2002 starter. You can use the older starter that requires three bolts to hold it in place. Just go to the hardware store and get a grade 8 bolt that is the same threads and length of the original starter bolts. The 2002 7.3L psd has the third bolt hole there. But the 2002 starter from the factory is a high torque starter and only required 2 bolts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.