Is it head gaskets tho? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 07:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is it head gaskets tho?

So I did a pressure test last year and I am building up to 15psi in cooling system when I stomp on it.... my question is I have no puking,no performance issues,no loss of coolant....no anything, so are my head gaskets cooked? What are other symptoms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2013, 10:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mine had a slight enough leak that there wasnt any smoke or performance issues. With a mild custom tune I would get to 20 psi, 18 with sct canned performance and 15 or so on stock. Did gaskets and studs a month or so ago and there was soot built up on the block around the cylinders where the coolant is supposed to flow. Definite leak with mine. When you do your test, get it to full temp, then slowly let out all the pressure, then close your cap again. You should be at 0 psi, now do a WOT 0-80, if your pressure builds quickly then youve got a leak. Dont know what you use to check but if you get a T barb and enough hose to zip tie to your mirror, you can use a band clamp around the threads of a dial tire pressure gauge($8 for a 0-40 psi gauge at autozone). Just unscrew the valve stem fitting. Keep the gauge higher than the barb to keep coolant out. After headstuds and gaskets I tried over and over doing a few miles of WOT and couldnt get above 11 psi.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

No you don't have failed head gaskets YET. You are still operateing within specs but at the max edge. You are also not showing any of the other symptoms.

You do however have a cooling system problem that needs immediate resoloution.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Serving Our Country!

hang on...

15psi is good but there is more to the test then just not exceeding the 16psi limit. most likely your HG are good but.....

1. why did you test them in first place?
2. did the pressure build really fast? or slow gradual rise--fast rise is bad but requires more testing- you want a slow and gradual rise.
3. once you built your pressure pull over and slowly release all the pressure and the fluid will expand and then tighten your cap and drive back home etc... once parked again see if any more pressure built up after the initial pressure release: little to no more pressure should of built up...

p.s. the test is only really accurate when your coolant is above 190 and your thermostat and gauges are working correctly.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy950 View Post
No you don't have failed head gaskets YET. You are still operateing within specs but at the max edge. You are also not showing any of the other symptoms.

You do however have a cooling system problem that needs immediate resoloution.
What is the cooling system problem that needs immediate attention? I have ELC cat rated coolant, bulletproof EGR cooler and a year old oil cooler not to mention up till a month ago I had a coolant filter......what should I be concerned about dannyboy?
Old 09-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

[QUOTE=JustinOOO9;6541673]hang on...

15psi is good but there is more to the test then just not exceeding the 16psi limit. most likely your HG are good but.....

1. why did you test them in first place?
2. did the pressure build really fast? or slow gradual rise--fast rise is bad but requires more testing- you want a slow and gradual rise.
3. once you built your pressure pull over and slowly release all the pressure and the fluid will expand and then tighten your cap and drive back home etc... once parked again see if any more pressure built up after the initial pressure release: little to no more pressure should of built up...

p.s. the test is only really accurate when your coolant is above 190 and your thermostat and gauges are working correctly.[/QUOTE
It was more of a gradual build up, I cant remember if I was at 190 degrees operating temp tho, I don't think I was......the rise happened over roughly 30 seconds if that helps...
Old 09-08-2013, 04:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfrac View Post
Mine had a slight enough leak that there wasnt any smoke or performance issues. With a mild custom tune I would get to 20 psi, 18 with sct canned performance and 15 or so on stock. Did gaskets and studs a month or so ago and there was soot built up on the block around the cylinders where the coolant is supposed to flow. Definite leak with mine. When you do your test, get it to full temp, then slowly let out all the pressure, then close your cap again. You should be at 0 psi, now do a WOT 0-80, if your pressure builds quickly then youve got a leak. Dont know what you use to check but if you get a T barb and enough hose to zip tie to your mirror, you can use a band clamp around the threads of a dial tire pressure gauge($8 for a 0-40 psi gauge at autozone). Just unscrew the valve stem fitting. Keep the gauge higher than the barb to keep coolant out. After headstuds and gaskets I tried over and over doing a few miles of WOT and couldnt get above 11 psi.
I did T off coolant line and had gauge inside the cab, I think I might redo the test and make sure im at operating temp and do it a few times in a row
Old 09-08-2013, 05:12 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyboy7777 View Post
I did T off coolant line and had gauge inside the cab, I think I might redo the test and make sure im at operating temp and do it a few times in a row
Ok you t off the line going into the side of the degas bottle. Second when you get down on it the pressure should go up a little then settle back down if it does this is your water pump moveing the coolant only. If it goes up then stays there then goes up again then then starts venting under boost with no smoke out exhaust this is head gaskets. If it vents and smokes white out exhaust its most likely a egr cooler with head gaskets to follow shortly down the road. Hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.