6.0 problems any advice would be great - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 problems any advice would be great

I have a 06 F250 lariat crew cab I have 150,000 on the motor and I noticed the heads were starting to leak and the oil was a light brown in color, not sure what that means. But I do have a 97 7.3L with turbo, computer and the wiring harness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You got other replies in other threads but I'll reply here too.
Heads leaking? What does that mean.
Light brown oil probably means coolant. You need to do monitoring of motor sensors to see what's wrong. And do LOTS of reading.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:44 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyb665 View Post
I have a 06 F250 lariat crew cab I have 150,000 on the motor and I noticed the heads were starting to leak and the oil was a light brown in color, not sure what that means. But I do have a 97 7.3L with turbo, computer and the wiring harness.
We need alot more info before we can help you sir.
1) where are heads leaking?
2) what head is leaking?
3) coolant can be slick just like oil so it needs to be determined what it is!

check top of motor and make sure oil cap and filter is ford and not aftermarket as they tend to leak, the leaks on top can follow the crevis where head meets block and follow that to rear of motor and bell housing area.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes, that would help!!
Ok... I took it to the dealership to have it checked out and they told me I had 3 bad injectors, my ficm wasnt putting out enough voltage and my drivers side head gasket was starting to leak. So I was online looking and found a site where a ford technician was doing a video on diesels and how they hammer when you first start and the test procedure they do. 1 of the things he Suggested was putting a new ficm in because its not always the injectors, so I bought a 58V super swamps ficm and it started great!!! My sons truck broke down so I let him drive to work. Well it ran out of fluid and overheated he drove it home and it sat overnight. The next morning I put coolant in and after a couple of seconds it started running rough and blowing water out the tail pipe. I shut it of and left it sit a while drained out the fluid and went to start it again to try and dry everything, well it hydro locked on me, so I thought I could bump it over and try and try and push the water back out.... Well that worked but I wound up with water in my oil.
Unfortunately I found out that was NOT the right way. I don't have a lot of experience with diesels.
I do have a 7.3L for free complete with computer and wiring harness, would it be cheaper to fix my 6.0 or put the 7.3 in?? I think I might fix my 6.0. Any and all advice will be appreciated!!!!
Thanks
Old 09-08-2013, 05:29 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyb665 View Post
Yes, that would help!!
Ok... I took it to the dealership to have it checked out and they told me I had 3 bad injectors, my ficm wasnt putting out enough voltage and my drivers side head gasket was starting to leak. So I was online looking and found a site where a ford technician was doing a video on diesels and how they hammer when you first start and the test procedure they do. 1 of the things he Suggested was putting a new ficm in because its not always the injectors, so I bought a 58V super swamps ficm and it started great!!! My sons truck broke down so I let him drive to work. Well it ran out of fluid and overheated he drove it home and it sat overnight. The next morning I put coolant in and after a couple of seconds it started running rough and blowing water out the tail pipe. I shut it of and left it sit a while drained out the fluid and went to start it again to try and dry everything, well it hydro locked on me, so I thought I could bump it over and try and try and push the water back out.... Well that worked but I wound up with water in my oil.
Unfortunately I found out that was NOT the right way. I don't have a lot of experience with diesels.
I do have a 7.3L for free complete with computer and wiring harness, would it be cheaper to fix my 6.0 or put the 7.3 in?? I think I might fix my 6.0. Any and all advice will be appreciated!!!!
Thanks
Sounds like your egr cooler blew DO NOT START THIS AGAIN!!!! YOU WILL BEND RODS! GET IT FIXED!!! AT THIS POINT YOU MUST REMOVE GLOW PLUGS AND GET WATER OUT THAT WAY IF YOU HAVENT ALREADY BENT YOUR RODS.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It would be cheaper to fix the 6.0 as long as nothing is bent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.