Still hot no start after replacing all of this - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 09:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Still hot no start after replacing all of this

Ok guys have the motor apart changing the oil cooler and took the valve covers off, and HPOP off air tested everything. I only hear a slight air noise in the HPOP. Nothing from the oil rails at all. Here is what I've done so far, new stand pipes, dummy plugs new oil rail on passanger side, ,new injector orings and seals, new nipple cup orings on drivers side.

So with all of that done I still have no start hot. I have the cover off still on the HPOP and used the test port on the pump to put air in. I'm at a loss, is there anyone of our members in the Tampa Florida area willing to come on by and take a look with me, maybe two eyes are better than one. The last thing I have is a new IPR Sensor.

Help please. I'm at a total loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2013, 10:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I believe youd want to apply air to where the icp sensor is. Ive never heard of using the test port. Are you applying 12v to the ipr to close it? If you dont it will send all the air through the ipr and you wont find a leak. You can get a pigtail for a 7.3L injector that will plug into the ipr to make it easier.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok guys here it goes....... So after driving for around 5000 miles i started to have the same problem. Slow to start then hot no start. The other day i took the passanger side valve cover off because i discovered a leak on that side. Replaced all four injector top seals, put it back together and drove it for a week. Was starting fine, and then just a few days ago same problem, hot no start. Last night i again replaced two injector seals on the passenger side, that i had just replaced.

This morning side hot not start.

Has anyone seen bad injectors not bleeding off cause this problem???

Also i have not had the drivers side off again, but i dont hear any leaks from that side. Its hard to tell with that baffle on though.

One last note. I also replaced the dummy plug just in case with a new one i had in my garage.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:40 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Replaced all four injector top seals, put it back together and drove it for a week. Was starting fine, and then just a few days ago same problem, hot no start. Last night i again replaced two injector seals on the passenger side, that i had just replaced.
Has anyone seen bad injectors not bleeding off cause this problem???
With many of the rail/injector seals failing you probably have rail/nipple seal leaks that actually end up destroying the rail/injector seals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_29Gt...etailpage#t=20

Oil Rail Nipple Cup Fixes

Last edited by twoicebergs; 12-05-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I actually just replaced the passenger side oil rail with a new one from Ford. The nipple cups looked great and had not marks or any wearing.

But i still changed the nipple cup o-rings with heavy duty vition ones yesterday.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:18 AM
Premium Member

So you are saying the nipple cup seals are all good, but you are replacing them again just because, or are they bad again and the injector seals are failing as well? Please remember you will see pulsing oil from the injector exhaust ports that may appear to be from the seals you are replacing.

I am running out of ideas except for your technique in replacing seals or installing the rail. Please post the ICP/IPR numbers.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I only changed the nipple cup orings because i had an extra set.

Here is exactly what happens. So i did a air test, replaced the injector seals that sounded like they where leaking. Kind of hard to tell. Then replaced the nipple orings. At this point though it was still leaking air from the empty rail. I added a little oil to make sure all the new seals had a nice coating of oil to the rail, then repeated air test and no air was leaking out anymore.

Im sure when i get home and do a air test hot, it will sound like air is rushing out of the passenger side valve cover. When i take the valve cover off, it sounds like the air is coming injectors, but i can never pinpoint the air leak, with my hand or see air rushing out.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok twoiceburgs

Ok, so today I did another leak test. Sounded like the passenger side was leaking again. I have a video of it.

I took the oil rail off. Put two dummy plugs in it to seal it and covered the injector cups. Applied air to it and I had zero leaks.

I then pulled each injector and put them on the rail. Each had a very small leak. I'm hoping this is normal. I will try to attach video when I get home.

My question is this, will I hear a very slight leak from the injectors venting? Or is this not normal. I used my son to help me plug the 4 holes on the oil rail to test the nipple orings. They were rock solid with zero leaks at 150psi.

I then inserted one injector at a time to listen to each. All 4 of them had a very small faint leak at 150psi and I mean small.

Then I put all four in at the same time and the leak was about the same. Very small as compared to when it was all still in the engine.

I started doing some research on injector manufacturers and all stated that you would hear small amounts of air passing by. Got me thinking....who knows if the injector was closed or open when it was shut off.

Also I looked into the design of the stand pipe. It has a one way open valve in it. Oil can go into the rail fast, but when air testing from icp port the air is really restricted going through a small oriface in the valve.

So now I'm thinking the noise even with the ipr closes could be coming from either the other oil rail venting into the crankcase because the drivers side valve cover is still on, or the oring at the STC fitting is blown out, or the yellow one under pump? Or lastly I have a failure at the pump itself. Hoping not that.

What are your thoughts???
Old 12-10-2013, 07:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds to me like the air is leaking past the spool valve and bleeding off through the spill ports. I've had to replace a few injectors because of this problem. When you put the rail on make sure there is some oil in it before you air test. The system isn't air tight but if there is oil in it the air shouldn't be able to push the oil through it. When you hear air leaking again remove the manifold and check the spill ports on the injectors. If there isn't any oil in them you found your leak. This has worked for me on more trucks than I can remember.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.