Engine Heat in Cab on 05 F350 Dually - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 11:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine Heat in Cab on 05 F350 Dually

I had my truck in the shop for severe lack of power and blowing white smoke out the tailpipe upon takeoff, like from a light. Repairs made: Air and Exhaust systems carbon cleaned, air filter cleaned, new EGR Cooler, new EGR Valve, New Turbo, New MAP Sensor. The power is better, but I am still getting a slight lack of power, especially when taking off from a stop. The big problem I have is the engine is throwing a LOT of heat into the cab. The dashboard get hot especially by the light controls, to the left of the radio and climate controls, and under the steering wheel where the fusebox cover is. It feels like the heat is on full blast. I would appreciate any help you can give me. A dealer said it was the oil cooler, but my mechanic says the oil cooler tests didn't show a bad oil cooler?? Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

First off welcome to the site!
Are you sure the lack of power when you first take off is not just turbo lag? Does it hesitate and then finnally vroom there you go?
And heat coming from under the dash...well Id crawl up under there and snoop around. You might put something like a shop drop light under your dash. The at nite climb up on the motor and look for light coming through the fire wall.
Also if you turn your heater to full blast HOT does the temp go up? Down? Same?
Old 09-02-2013, 11:36 AM

Also get yourself a monitor and let the truck tell you what is wrong instead of letting people that are trying to make money off of you. You can get a monitor from 150 and up.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've had the Turbo lag before, and this doesn't seem like that. Seems like it just doesn't want to go, but its fine once it gets up to speed. Similar feeling to if you overloaded the truck and tried to drive it, just doesn't have the power at the lower end. I'll have to check to see if it gets better or worse when the heat is on. It doesn't do it all the time, seems kind of on its own schedule which makes it more frustrating to diagnose because you have to wait for the truck to do it. I'll give that a try and take a look under there.
The mechanic said that the new turbo and cleaned exhaust could be giving me hotter temps because the exhaust tubes go down right in front of the dash. Does this make sense?
Old 09-02-2013, 11:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also, I should probably mention it has the Banks Ram-Air System on it from when I bought it...
Old 09-02-2013, 12:42 PM

I know that on a recent road trip I was surprised when I shot the floor with a laser temp gun and it was around 120*.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:25 PM

I would suspect one of the firewall rubber plugs missing or a missing heat shields on the exhaust or insulation blankets.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy950 View Post
I would suspect one of the firewall rubber plugs missing or a missing heat shields on the exhaust or insulation blankets.
That's what I was guessin!
Old 09-03-2013, 11:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey guys! Thanks for the help!
I cleaned the MAF Sensor today just to see if that would help, and it seems to have fixed or greatly lessened the lag on the low end. I haven't tried it with a trailer or any weight on it to check yet, but just driving it seems better.
The heat is still bothering me. I checked for any holes or missing shields/firewall material, but it seems pretty tight under there. The only hole is the pass-through for wires into the cab, but that has the normal flap cover on it, and its been that way since I got the truck, so it doesn't explain the sudden heat.
The heat was not a problem until I did the new turbo and EGR cooler. Do I need to reflash the computer to get everything on the same page with these new parts?
Old 09-03-2013, 02:17 PM

No reflash is needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.