Problems with a 03 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2006, 02:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Problems with a 03 6.0

I just bought a 2003 Excursion with a 6.0 it has 22000 miles on it. After running it for a while I start having a rough idle. On start up in the morning for about 5 seconds it sound and feels like it is miss firing. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2006, 02:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just heard from the Ford dealer I needed a new turbo and EGR valve.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:46 PM

the turbo was bad after only having 22k on it? Wierd. next time be easier on it. Let it warm up good before driving away and let it cool down for a little while before shutting it off. That should help.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:51 PM
Jon

Warm up has nothing to do with it.

It is VERY common to replace the first turbo on the 6.0's. On your cold start up issue. I bet Marc's garden its atleast one injector.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:00 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'd add to that with the 03 6.0's you can't baby them either. You need to run them WOT at least once when you drive it.

I thought injectors after reading the post, but I don't know much about the 6.0. Maybe CHenry can post some helpful info.

At least it's covered under warranty though.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:05 PM
Jon

My shop.

When ever there is a concern on a 6.0 only when it is cold it is usually the a injector. Not all of them act up all the time.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I also have an 03 Ex with a 6.0. It had 32K on it when I bought it. It ran great on a test drive, but soon after purchase I noticed a bucking under load at certain RPMs. I towed a 6500 pound trailer from CA to Louisiana with it and it ran great most of the time. A few times it would buck under load and dropping the auto trans down a gear to a higher RPM seemed to work around the problem. Once here in Louisiana, it seamed OK. I changed all the filters, and it was obvious the truck hadn't been well cared for. The fuel filter was wasted! Everything was fine until about 34,000 miles when I left from home one day, it would barley run, with lots of smoke. The check engine light came on too. It sat for a couple of weeks before I carried it to Ford. Of course it ran fine the day I carried it in! Ford cleaned the turbo (1 can of carb cleaner on invoice) and replaced the actuator assembly. The invoice states code P0404 and repaired as per TSB 06-18-3. Runs great so far, but I've yet to pull a heavy load, and it's all flat around here, not even a decent hill to climb. That 5 year/100k mile warranty is great! Good luck with yours and let us know how it turns out.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just bought the truck, the guy that owned it before babied it, it sat in a heated garage most of its life he was old. Iím just trying to get everything worked out on it and do all the maintenance. When I get it back Iím going to convert it to AMSOIL.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:22 PM
Jon

My friends...

When they ask me about a used powestroke "6.0". They say should I buy it and I say, has it been babied? They say yeah, it's real nice and I say don't. They HATE being babied!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.