Dirty IPR Valce Screen Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 03:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dirty IPR Valce Screen Question

I am in the midst of changing my IPR to cure my stalling out while driving problems, and after removing it I noticed that the filter was covered with garbage. I have seen this mentioned in numerous threads, but none mention what the debris is......While I'm in here and the turbo is out, should I be looking for additional problems that can be fixed at this time? Where is the gunk coming from and is it just gonna clog up my near sensor? I'm a new diesel owner and I dont want to do this again in the new future if possible, LOL! Anybody have advise on how to proceed?

Last edited by handlebarlouie; 08-31-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2013, 04:44 PM
Premium Member

Dirt in the oil not filtered, filter particle residue from disintegrating media, debris from a previous repair, very fine metal shavings, or o-ring particulate, or sludge from oil thickening.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Finding the source of the contamination and fixing that is een more important than what the contamination is. Untill resolved you will continue to have repeat problems.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:06 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
90% of the time it's from a previous oil cooler repair that allows all the dirt in the valley to enter the reservoir under the oil cooler.

If you pull your oil cooler out and the screen is torn and the reservoir contaminated then you've found your source.

Has anyone proved that disintigrating filter media can be the cause for this? I have found dirt in the reservoir more times than not and never really wondered why or stopped to look and see what it actually is. Typically it looks like sand and grit like normal engine bay dirt.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sinner is quite right I just want to add you not only have to watch what you may disturb and knock in there but also what the outside environment can do to you.

I once spent an hour meticieously cleaning a really dirty valley and a gust of wind blew up trash off the floor and from outside and made everything dirtyer than I started out with. Had to clean it all again.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:27 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I had one 2010 6.0 econoline recently that had never been opened up for any kind of repairs. When I pulled the oil cooler out the resevoir was full of debris and the new style steel screen had 2 torn windows. Like always I wondered why for about 30 seconds and continued on......BUT I know no one has ever been in here, so where did the dirt come from?

This fleet does use napa filters and this thread was the first time I'd ever heard that aftermarket filter media can come apart. I wonder if this is what caused the concern?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ipr sensor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.