What comes next. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 02:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What comes next.

This may get kind of long but heres the story.

I bought an 03 f250 6.0 cc with 169,000 about two months ago. This is the first diesel i have ever been in. When i test drove i noticed it cut out about 3000 rpm and wouldnt go until i let off the pedal and it shifted back under 3000. The guy told me his mechanic told him the maf was bad and causing this.

He told me it had studs and egr delete and other things but turns out its all stock.

So when i got it home noticed oil in the degas bottle. I called the guy and was told they just changed oil cooler maybe it didnt get flushed good.

I went ahead and gave it a good flushing and it did cure that problem. I also changed all other filter and oil with motorcraft and rotella 15-40.

Ive been driving it and seemed to be losing more and more power only building 14lbs boost. then finally about two weeks ago on my way home from work i ran it hard then let off pedal and truck died. Wouldnt start back. I called a buddy which works for stealership and he told me check ipr.

Pulled ipr and screen was torn with what looks like green rubber specks all over it. He brought me a new ipr and i installed it. Truck started right up. Also had him scan it and it pulled egr valve code and map sensor. Not sure on exact codes. I went ahead and cleaned egr valve and replaced map sensor.

Truck ran alot better now making 18lbs boost which still seems low but was better. Little over a week later trucks dies again. I pulled ipr and exaxtly the same green stuff and busted screen.

What should i do next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2013, 02:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Finding the source of the orings and fixing that. That is the problem the ipr is the result of the problem.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Any idea where i should start looking? Is there o rings associated with oil cooler changing? Or maybe a green colored gasket?
Old 09-01-2013, 07:12 AM

No idea on the green chunks but as far as the boost I have worked pretty hard to get mine to 22. But I also live at 6000'+ elevation. I found the egr valve to be leaking and fought like a pit bull getting the turbo to seal up.
If I was having this much trouble with a truck after 2 months Id take it back to the dealer and see if they would help out. May not but you never know.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:12 AM

The problem is that o-rings can be any color it seems. While green is commonly used on injectors I have also seen other colors as well same for the egr valve and any sharp edge can shave a o-ring and not be noticed during r&r and may noy immediately show up.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well after a few days of research i guess im gonna start tearing down to inspect the hpop screen. Any other suggestions while at it.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:29 PM

If i were you i would flush the hell out of the cooling system, using restore and restore plus. After a few days of flushing with distilled water until the system is 100 percent clean water then i would tear into the truck and put an oil cooler in the truck. Dirty and old antifreeze with clog your new oil cooler in less than 10,000 miles. Tousley ford has an oil cooler for 280 bucks and it comes with the HPOP screen. While you have the turbo out spilt the case and give the veins and the unison ring a good cleaning. Now would also be time to install the EGR delete. Refill the truck with EC-1 rated coolant.

Injector orings are white, black and blue, IIRC the oil cooler cover gasket in green so that could be the source of your problem. Ive seen debris in the IPR after and oil cooler replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.