'04 No Start One Time, No Codes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 04:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'04 No Start One Time, No Codes

Hello, everyone. Just got my 6.0L after dealing with a 6.5L for 7 years. Glad to be here. Here is my situation, I've had this truck for 4 months with no problems until the other day. After a 10 minutes drive, I went into a store, came out 10 minutes later and had a crank but no start condition. I didn't have any tools with me so I had AAA tow it home. About an hour after it first wouldn't start, it started without hesitation. I've checked the FICM and it has 48V KOEO, KOEC and KOER. I had Autozone pull the codes-no codes. It has ran fine since. Where do I go from here? I was considering getting a plug-in performance programmer because a previous owner put 35's on it and the speedo is off and it seems to be sluggish from a dead stop. Are there any programmers that can be used as real-time monitors to kill 2 birds with 1 stone? I'm new to this engine but not new to the diesel world. Any help will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2013, 08:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update. Truck now is a crank but no start. Tested Ficm and everything tests 48-49V. Using my Engine Link app I checked my ICP, 0 psi key on engine off and 296 psi while cranking. IPR in 15% key on engine off and 84.5% while cranking. Sounds like a HPOP leak but what spot? I've seen some YouTube videos that say D-ring but I'm not sure what they are. It said that if it builds any ICP pressure that it probably isn't the ipr valve and the stc nipple failure would show only about 100 psi. Should I start by pulling the ipr valve and checking it for damage?
Old 09-19-2013, 12:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Kinda the whole reason of doing the air pressure test is to pin point wher or what is leaking. Bear in mind a large leak can mask several small leaks as well.

Retest after each repair before ya completely button everything back up.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The air test is coming. What is the thread pitch of the ICP? Unfortunately I have an early '04 with the ICP at the rear. Any secrets besides pulling the FICM to getting man hands back there?
Old 09-19-2013, 12:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
IIRC ICP thread pitch is the same as the fuel pressure port: M12x1.5
Old 09-23-2013, 02:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update. Pulled the IPR and found the screen blocked by a yellowish mesh that I suspect is part of the drain back screen. This engine was worked on by the previous owner shortly before I got it. The screen was undamaged so I cleaned it and reinstall the IPR. I rescanned the the pids while cranking and got about 1100 psi and 35%. But here is the new problem, someone who worked on the FICM broke off part of the front wiring connector shell. So now the front FICM connector only locks in on one side and the back cover pops loose. It feels like it is fully seated. Before I took it apart to get at the IPR, the FICM main voltage was 48V all the time, now it starts at 35V but falls to 1V while cranking. Are there service parts available to repair a broken FICM connector and could this problem be something else?
Old 09-26-2013, 03:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It is now running but has a lot of light gray smoke

After pulling and cleaning debris off the IPR screen, my IPC pressure went right up to over 1000 psi and IPR % went to 25-30% and it fired right up. but after a few seconds, it started having a light gray smoke cloud out of the exhaust. It was not bright white like burnt coolant usually looks like and almost smells like late combustion. It never did this before and I never opened the coolant system except the two hoses on the de-gas bottle. It is not overheating or using an coolant that i can tell. this engine does have the j-shaped EGR delete kit, if that helps. I fix one problem and another shows up, sounds like my life.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:58 AM
Premium Member

They do sell replacement plugs for the FICM connectors sorry I don't have a link. If that is still and issue that might be why you are seeing the white or light grey smoke is fuel, what are your FICM voltages now with it running?
Old 09-26-2013, 08:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

48.5 across the board. My Engine link HD shows FICM main power, FICM vehicle voltage.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is there a good way to tell if this a coolant or fuel problem. Unfortunately I don't have a coolant system tester.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.