Stupid truck!!! Crazy no start issue! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 10:19 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stupid truck!!! Crazy no start issue!

Here we go... Bought a 05 F250 with 150k miles not running. It used to have a plow on it at some point and the only remnants are the large wires going from the front to the back, weird headlight wiring, and lots of rust.
Anyways, I tested it before purchase with my AE. FICM was 48v constantly, would crank over and IPR increased like it should, ICP did not build pressure. So, Brought it home.

Did the air test. Closed the IPR with AE, massive leak at hpop behind the gear. Bought and installed a replacement hpop and ipr. Still no start. Changed the starter because it was starting to drag. Still no start. Gave up on it for the evening.

Next morning, went to try a start with nothing hooked up to the truck and it would do nothing. No cranking, only a battery and airbag light would show on the dash, no noises when the key is turned on. Puzzled, I go grab the laptop and as soon as I plug in the AE dongle, everything lights up and it will turn over. Unplug the AE from the DLC and it is dead again. Plug it back in and it appears normal. Ran some tests and 2358 injectors failed. There were even codes for amismatched vin. Puzzled... I am assuming it is some sort of electrical short, wire unplugged, chafing issue. But, where to start??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2013, 12:45 PM
Premium Member

I would start at your batteries and work your way back. Mine did something similar a while back and I traced it to one of the injector wires under the degas bottle. It was rubbed bare and shorting out and gave me a no start issue.
Someone posted on here that this problem usually occurs when the ground on the right side of the engine block comes loose or off.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:02 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the reply Ryan. I just needed a lil boost I guess. We bought this truck not running for CHEAP. I know it is electrical and that I just have to dig in it. At least I have a couple of spots to check first before I start looking at every inch of wiring.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:25 PM
Premium Member

A little update....

After a bunch of pinout tests, I cleaned 5 ground connections (one by abs module, one on firewall outboard of degas bottle, one on intake by the ficm, strap on passenger side above hvac box, one by emergency brake). Ended up disassembling the blue plug for the cluster and one wire at a time, I removed them and tightened up the hole so it made a tighter connection when plugged into the cluster.

The thing fired up eventually. Oil pressure registers on the dash, ICP build rather quickly now. The issue I am having right now is that it won't idle. If I press the gas a bit, it will run great. Sounds good, revs up fine. As soon as it approaches idle speed, it acts like you turn the key off. A little bit more troubleshooting and it should be up and running.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:27 AM
Premium Member

It is FIXED! Cam position sensor swapped out and it idles great now. Crazy that it would run with the bad one but not idle. Go figure..
Old 08-31-2013, 08:41 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Wow congrats, crazy that such small issues can do all that, nice troubleshooting for sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.