How do you diagnose a IPR failure? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 05:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How do you diagnose a IPR failure?

I think the IPR is goine bad on the 6.0 I am working on. The truck is a 2006 F250. I rebuilt the engine 6 months ago. The engine got new rod and main bearings, new piston rings, honed all 8 cylinders, new low pressure oil pump, all new roller lifters, hpop fitting and dummie plug update kit. The hpop oil rails got new standpipes with all new orings.The owner did not want a new turbo, new hpop, or new injectors.
He called me thursday and said his truck would not start. He pulled up to a gas station to buy fuel and the truck would not start after he bought fuel. He had the truck towed to my shop. I ran jump cables from my truck to his because his batterys were almost dead. I guess he cranked on it for a while. I hooked my lap top up to it and monitored the injector control pressure, and icp regulator % while cranking. The ICP regulator was at 87% while cranking. The injector control pressure was at 45lbs. The Injector control pressure began to slowly rise after the third attempt to start. It got to 300lbs and the truck started to fire. I kept trying to start it and it got to where it would start running and die immediately. It did that 3 times and then it stayed running. I shut if off and restarted it several times. While running the Control pressure was around 890psi at idle. The ICP regulator was at 27% at idle. Is there any way of checking the ICP regulator to see if it is on its way out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2013, 06:29 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
The ICP regulator was at 87% while cranking.
The position commanded was 87%, but the actual position could be anywhere. Yes, it could be the IPR sticking intermittently open. Without having a high pressure bench stand, you are pretty much stuck with replacing it if you think that is the source of the problem. There was a lot of work performed, it is possible a bit of contamination made it to the IPR valve before or after the repair.

Although highly unlikely in this case, wrong oil filter and cap?
Old 08-24-2013, 07:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

While I have never actually seen a 87%IPR I think you have a IPR problem or a very small
High pressure oil leak since you do eventually reach enough pressure to fire and run.

It could also be a low presure problem not being able to fill the resivoir fast enough altho I would lean toward the HP oil leak since even when running you only make 850 psi.

You would need further indepth testing to know for sure.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy950 View Post
While I have never actually seen a 87%IPR I think you have a IPR problem or a very small
High pressure oil leak since you do eventually reach enough pressure to fire and run.

It could also be a low presure problem not being able to fill the resivoir fast enough altho I would lean toward the HP oil leak since even when running you only make 850 psi.

You would need further indepth testing to know for sure.
I changed the IPR to 50% at idle and the oil pressure went to 1500psi. I only did this for a split second because I didnt want to blow an oring or damage anything.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
The position commanded was 87%, but the actual position could be anywhere. Yes, it could be the IPR sticking intermittently open. Without having a high pressure bench stand, you are pretty much stuck with replacing it if you think that is the source of the problem. There was a lot of work performed, it is possible a bit of contamination made it to the IPR valve before or after the repair.

Although highly unlikely in this case, wrong oil filter and cap?
It is very possible that contamination made it to the ipr before repairs. The truck had a roller lifter failure that wiped out the cam lobe and the low pressure oil pump gears.

It is also possible that the wrong oil filter and cap were installed. He payed me to change the oil 4000 miles ago and he used an autozone filter....not a motorcraft.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is there anything else I can check or test? I hate changing parts without pinpointing what is wrong first.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:24 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
That is where a tester IPR comes in handy. If you do enough 6.0 repairs it's worth having.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Any ideas what I should check? I honestly do not know where to start.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I guess I'll remove the driver's side valve cover tomorrow and look for a hpo leak. If it does have one it will probably be on the passenger side knowing my luck. There is a bit of a clearance issue between the valve cover and evaporator housing. I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

First start of the day with the engine cold.....Took 7 seconds to start. I am definitely leaning toward a high pressure oil leak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.