Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Hopefully not the head

2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  elchaseo 
#1 ·
On my 2004 f350 6.0 I have 125000 miles, I have heard horror stories about the heads going on them. Well last night I was driving home when my truck started to over heat, when I pulled into the gas station I noticed steam coming from my exhaust. I also could hear an odd sound over the usual turbo. I added water and limped it down the road. I didn't notice any oil in the coolant that was left and no coolant in the oil that I could tell. It can't get enough water now, what ever I put in steams right off the exhaust. Please help, I'm hoping its not the heads, I can live with head gaskets.... And anyone know where I can get parts cheap, I was looking at xdp who has a solution kit to the 6.0 bit it's $1200

#6 ·
It's not the valve that lets it in its the cooler itself. The valve is more of an inspection hole at this point. Park the truck with the nose down hill so it will collect up front and be easier to see then look in the morning.

#7 ·
Also not sure how much research you have done but if you don't have a monitor on the truck for looking at temps your oil cooler may be plugged as well and is what blew your cooler. A monitor for temps is critical for the longevity of a 6.0

#8 ·
I just topped off with water and ran it for a few minutes, at first the level didn't drop, after a minute I could hear an odd sound over the turbo coming from the tail pipe and then water spraying from the pipe, I stopped before it could steam. I pulled the egr valve and found some remnants of water????

#11 ·
Yeah if you dont need the egr cooler for emissions delete it. I may be wrong here but you may have to address the erg cooler first then do a good flush of the system then do the oil cooler if needed. But definitely get a monitor on that thing. A 15 degree difference between coolant and oil temps running at 55mph for 20 minute indicates a restricted oil cooler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.