Ole Smokin Issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 12:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ole Smokin Issue

I tried posting over at DB and I am waiting on a response, so i thought i would try here and hopefully get some more answers. 2006 with 47,000 miles. 4in straight exhaust, RCD egr delete, new oil cooler, replaced stc fitting, stock tuned, coolant filter, edge insight. My delta was kinda erratic, so thats when I did the egr delete/oil cooler. Well Its been like 600 miles and i am still getting a lot of white smoke. The week after I put it back together it threw two codes for cylinder contribution on even numbered cylinders, I chocked that up to having air in the lines. After that week it never threw a code again. Average diffrence between temps now is like 5 degrees. I have been monitoring my levels and I dont see a drop in coolant at all. My edge insight shows 47.5 volts at start up and 48 when running. I took it to the dealer and he did a contribution test on it and didnt see any irregularities. He said one injector could be functioning at 60% but if all the others are at 100% it hides the bad one.. Didnt make sense to me but who knows. I am getting an average of like 12.4 mpg which seems kinda low to me. I would swear its my head gaskets but im not losing coolant. Only other thing I notice is while I am accelerating at around 2500 rpms I notice the needle start to flutter and I hear the exhaust waver (almost stutter). The smoke is white with maybe a blue tint, it kinda hangs around for a few seconds, and doesnt dissapear right away. I have no sense of smell, but my friend thought it kinda smelled like fuel but that is not confirmed. So is the tech right ?? am I just loosing an injector or two slowly ??? I'll buy a case of beer to whoever can troubleshoot this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2013, 01:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm not a 6.0l guru but it sounds to me like oil burning from an injector or two. Since your not loosing coolant.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-23-2013, 01:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So the technician could have been right? I just figured the contribution test should have shown something, and the fact that I am not throwing a code for an injector.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is the smoke just coming off an idle? Are you loosing any oil? Reason I ask is mine does that also. Sit and idle and it will fog you out then speed engine up and it clears up and goes away. No coolant loss no oil loss. I'm thinking it is a cut injector o-ring.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You may as well send hucorey his beer cause he is right. Relative compression and contribution are both an inferred calculation and can often be misleading.

Diesel is a dingy white to grayish smoke that lingers. Coolant is snow white and kinda fluffy looking it also abruptly disappears. Coule that with no loss of coolant and diesel is your better option.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A cheaper way to check is add a bottle of RevX. 6.0's are notorious for stiction. If it gets better or even goes away, you will definitely know its injector related. You typically won't see a dramatic use in oil, unless its really bad. You may have to drive a 1k miles to drop a quart or so.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:24 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hucorey View Post
A cheaper way to check is add a bottle of RevX. 6.0's are notorious for stiction. If it gets better or even goes away, you will definitely know its injector related. You typically won't see a dramatic use in oil, unless its really bad. You may have to drive a 1k miles to drop a quart or so.

Make that 2 4oz bottles of rev-x and stiction may go away. What kind of oil are you using. I've read that using rev-x or archoil and a good synthetic will help tremendously!

Old 08-23-2013, 06:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I added two bottles of revx when I got done with my oil cooler... And I'm running.fully.synthetic xtreme diesel.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-pippitt View Post
Is the smoke just coming off an idle? Are you loosing any oil? Reason I ask is mine does that also. Sit and idle and it will fog you out then speed engine up and it clears up and goes away. No coolant loss no oil loss. I'm thinking it is a cut injector o-ring.

It smokes at idle and when I pull off.. I don't notice it when I am up to speed, but that could be because of the speed/wind
Old 08-24-2013, 05:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I can just sit in the driveway and rev it up and see the smoke disappear .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.