Injector failure or? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 06:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Injector failure or?

I'm posting this up for a friend of mine who is having some troubles with his truck. I'm gonna copy/paste all the available info i/we currently have:

I have an 04 6.0 with 195k on the clock. It has the following done to it.

- Heads studded
- 5" exhaust
- EGR delete (unconfirmed, as the egr is present)
- 04 Edge chip

It had intermittent missing once in a while at startup until warm. (3-4 times over 2 months) It dropped a cylinder after freeway driving, then stop n go for 5 minutes. This happened 2-3 times over the same 2 month period. Once the truck was shut off, and restarted it cleared up with no issues. While towing (3 4x4 atvís) @ 65 mph then down to 25 mph it again dropped a cylinder. This stayed this way for a couple blocks, and cleared some. Once back up to speed it dropped again, and a slight knock appeared on the driverís side, awhile wall of smoke out the tail pipe, and a ride home on the wrecker. While on the roadside I pulled the egr, and it had no water on it. 2 weeks before I towed about 12k load over 2 mountain passes, and back with no issues.

Another issue is with the edge chip. The display has gone out 3 times, and a couple days later it comes back on randomly. No loose wires/connections. I talked to edge, and they said the display was old, and tired. Time for an upgrade.

I took it to a mechanic I trust, as I have no time at the moment to dig into it, and he said #8 injector was dead. He replaced it, and it is as if he did nothing. Same over fueling smoke cloud when started. He is doing a compression check tomorrow, and I suggested yanking the edge out of it to eliminate that entirely.

Any advice/ideas what else to check?

Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2013, 02:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This is my mess Jason posted.

I eliminated the edge with no change.

Compression testing with center cable on the ecu disconnected. 2,4,6,8 between 375 and 475, but there is "a lot" of fuel coming out of the glow plug holes.

1,3,5,7 all 380 to 400. No fuel coming out at all.

Question: what would effect all cylinders on one side over fueling with the ecu disconnected. #8 injector is also new.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 08-23-2013, 03:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Looks like 4 and 6 are spraying, not 8, & 2 slightly if at all. Hard to say due to the shower of fuel from 4 & 6.

Last edited by CoopKill; 08-24-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:01 PM

Nothing?

Jason
Old 08-24-2013, 03:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

All injectors are going in for testing. Will see what comes of that.

Not much help up in here...
Old 08-26-2013, 04:31 AM

????????????????????????????/

Jason
Old 08-26-2013, 05:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopKill View Post
Compression testing with center cable on the ecu disconnected. 2,4,6,8 between 375 and 475, but there is "a lot" of fuel coming out of the glow plug holes.

Question: what would effect all cylinders on one side over fueling with the ecu disconnected. #8 injector is also new.
Do a buzz test. If your injectors test out OK, then I'd say replace the O-rings on the even side injectors.

Out of your compression test on even side, which two were higher. Your 475psi is a dead giveaway that cylinder is leaking and filling up your cup in the piston head giving you less volume of air space and jacking your compression test numbers high.

On a side note, what is your voltage output while the truck is running? 6.0's are very sensitive and if it gets too low it can wipe out a lot of your wallet. New ficm and injectors.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Last edited by hucorey; 08-26-2013 at 05:08 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:40 AM
Premium Member

Quote:

Looks like 4 and 6 are spraying, not 8, & 2 slightly if at all. Hard to say due to the shower of fuel from 4 & 6.
You probably didn't get much response due to the weekend, and the way you presented the information.

How would you know the injectors were spraying, since you have no real way to test them. Now, if they are leaking and with the glow-plugs out when you dry crank you get fuel spraying out, you have a major failure of your injector nozzles or a copper washer and O-ring failures. You should get no fuel spraying without the FICM and the HPO working correctly for a start and run. Having the injectors tested may not prove anything unless there is a major failure. It looks like 2 and 4 may have a problem.

As suggested, present the other values as well. If the FICM is NOT firing incorrectly, you will end up with a miss or even a no start/run condition. The same could happen with a wire harness issue and be intermittent. The chip and unit blanking out may even be the cause of the problem or what caused other parts to fail and become the problem. You have to get back to a known good electrical state.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The high compression is on the leaking cylinders. The voltage was checked 3 weeks prior, and was dead on specs. I will have hime check again once up and running.

Another odd thing was it coded cylinder balance on 1,4,6,7. Which we did not find any issues on the odd side yet. Will know more once the injectors are tested.

Thanks for the reply!

Old 08-26-2013, 05:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
You probably didn't get much response due to the weekend, and the way you presented the information.

How would you know the injectors were spraying, since you have no real way to test them. Now, if they are leaking and with the glow-plugs out when you dry crank you get fuel spraying out, you have a major failure of your injector nozzles or a copper washer and O-ring failures. You should get no fuel spraying without the FICM and the HPO working correctly for a start and run. Having the injectors tested may not prove anything unless there is a major failure. It looks like 2 and 4 may have a problem.

As suggested, present the other values as well. If the FICM is NOT firing incorrectly, you will end up with a miss or even a no start/run condition. The same could happen with a wire harness issue and be intermittent. The chip and unit blanking out may even be the cause of the problem or what caused other parts to fail and become the problem. You have to get back to a known good electrical state.
Sorry, when I stated spraying I was meaning when compression testing I would get fuel spraying out the glow plug holes.

Is there any other tests that can be done to check the FICM besides voltage?

I have removed the edge with no change, and will recheck voltage when back together. This is my first diesel venture, so a bit new there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.