06 no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 05:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
06 no start

Ok, I'm new to this forum, I'm a 10 year independent shop tech. Not a ford owner but do have a strong ford customer base, anyway back on topic. I spent Trent the better half of last night trolling this forum and a few others trying to find a topic related and have had no luck finding one describing my problem so please forgive me if I have overlooked it,not the best at finding them. My problem is an 06 ford F250 6.0, had it down the street at the quick car they did an oil change and found a stripped drain plug, tapped the plug hole and installed an insert. Started the truck, it ran fine for a test drive and later when they went to move it around the parking lot, of course when the customer was called to come pick it up the truck started then immediately died has not tried to start sense. Started with the basics, have check and not getting any lpop oil pressure reading at the sensor plug on a Manuel gauge, I did the test of holding the drain back closed and it fills the filter housing quickly enough. After that I tried the air test on the hpop system and can't hear any leaks my problem I can't find anywhere else is on a whim I pulled the oil feed line for the turbo and nothing comes out while cranking for and extended period, could I possible have debri blocking the passages after the filter and just need to replace my housing? I have been unable to find a diagram showing the routes the oil takes and I have looked at the "bible" as it was called on one forum. Thank you for your help I chose this forum because it seemed to have the largest knowledge base and willing to help members
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2013, 02:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Since your oil was changed at one of those quicky lube type places no telling what filter you wound up with. The 6.0 really likes the motorcraft filter and cap.

The real problem comes in when the cap and filter doent match especially the wix high dome cap andjust about any other brand of filter. Wixes filter is almost 1" longer so if you should stick a motorcraft filter in a wix cap it wont fully depress the drain valve and you will loose oil to the pan as fast as it comes in.

Also check that the plastic tower is not cracked or theplastic valve on top the tower is intact. Another problem area.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you for the reply, I have already taken the spring out of the drain back to eliminate the problem of the aftermarket filter what is the issue with the top of the tower?
Old 08-21-2013, 05:46 PM

That is the oil filter bypass valve if it is broken or missing it will not build enough pressure and cut the amount of flow form the houseing so the hpop sump may run low or go dry. Never heard of anyone removeing the spring under the drain valve.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

As I stated earlier I read and researched numerous forums and a few people had had the issues you described with aftermarket filters, by removing the spring the oil will not flow back to the pan with the filter removed unless you pull up on it thus if the filter isn't pushing down all the way such as one being to short then you still get the oil
Old 08-21-2013, 07:51 PM

Hmmm interessting I always just put the right filter and cap in but a workable soloution.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:17 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Do you have access to a scan gauge/monitor of some sorts? What is the HPOP doing? (Icp volts and IPR %) I'm confused on how your manual gauge isn't reading anything but yet your filling the oil filter housing quickly. Where is your gauge hooked to?
Old 08-22-2013, 12:43 AM
Serving Our Country!

there are a few things you 6.0 needs tpo have just to start... its a good idea to get a scangauge or edge or sct monitor...

1. your ICP- needs minimum 500psi
2. IPR voltage needs to be above 15% and under 85% to start (tuning can change the voltages)
-while cranking it should not go beloew 15% or above 85% or its HPOP issues
3. FICM syn and ficm volts above i believe 45 to start (properly) seen tons at 25vts start but run bad....

check your ipr voltage at crank and your icp reading...
Old 08-22-2013, 08:47 AM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9
1. your ICP- needs minimum 500psi
2. IPR voltage needs to be above 15% and under 85% to start (tuning can change the voltages)
-while cranking it should not go beloew 15% or above 85% or its HPOP issues

check your ipr voltage at crank and your icp reading...
The truck should see 84% IPR while cranking... IPR should only be at 15% with the key on/engine off (not cranking)

Icp volts should be at .80 minimum to start (while cranking)
Old 08-22-2013, 09:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Manual gauge was hooked up to port where pressure gauge goes on at base of filter housing and to verify also tried at oil temp port, aswell as manually reading hpop pressure at valve cover I have a high pressure gauge just for ford power strokes, ficm voltage always above 45 V do not remember what ipr % was since last post have pulled turbo and got down to hpop ipr screens were intact haven't pulled hpop but can't find any outward signs of failure, also pulled lpop just to check it out gears and housing in great shape waiting on a filter housing to get to the shop so I can compare to make sure something wasn't damaged before it came to me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.