IPR loose - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 08:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
IPR loose

I have a 06 F350 6.0 that has been intermittently not starting, about every three weeks this would happen but it would start after about 10 to 15 minutes of trying. this morning it would not start and I never got it going. Tonight after work I hooked up a scanner and the IPR actual was way low (235psi) I removed the turbo and found the IPR connector ty wrapped to the IPR and found that the plastic part of the IPR that the connector plugs into is loose in the IPR. Would it be a safe bet to replace the IPR and get it running or should I dig deeper? I don't really want to pull the turbo again. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Am I right in thinking that the connector that is part of the IPR should not be loose?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2013, 09:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The plastic plug should wiggle, the metal part is just a cover. While im not saying your ipr is good, that wiggling is normal. Being an 03, youre likely to experience hpo issues with a bad hpop, and the ipr would be prone to failure as well. Could be a plugged ipr screen too. There are several threads about how to test your hpo system to determine the leak.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:53 PM

i just had mine changed, had between 220-300 psi.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info on the IPR. i have a 06 though not an 03 and from what i have read on hear the hpop is less likley to fail than earlier ones. I will ned to find a fitting so i can leak check the hpo system. Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:33 AM

I dont know how I mixed the 03 and 06 up. One thing to consider if youre doing the work yourself, is say you need to replace stc fitting, mighy as well update standpipe and dummy plugs and vice versa. It will prevent issues later on. Should be be able to get al the parts for that for around $150 from toulsey ford(renamed auto nation but you still can google toulsey)
Old 08-21-2013, 08:40 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be1900mech View Post
Thanks for the info on the IPR. i have a 06 though not an 03 and from what i have read on hear the hpop is less likley to fail than earlier ones. I will ned to find a fitting so i can leak check the hpo system. Thanks for the reply.
In most high pressure oil problems, my first step is to replace the IPR valve or at least remove the valve and check the screen for debris or damage. Even the slightest amount of debris can cause issues.

If the truck is a "no start hot" then the most likely answer is the dummy plugs or standpipes under the valve covers. Those are a pretty simple repair. If those are not the issue you may have a STC fitting failing causing a leak. That is a much more involved job.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replys. Have new dummy plugs/standpipes and stc fitting on the way and will check the IPR screen as i do them. Thanks again.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:55 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be1900mech View Post
Thanks for the replys. Have new dummy plugs/standpipes and stc fitting on the way and will check the IPR screen as i do them. Thanks again.
No problem! BTW...
Old 08-21-2013, 05:30 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I think when the IPR fails all the way open your pressure will still be 200-300 PSI as long as there are no other leaks.

I have changed a lot of bad IPRs and never thought once to see what pressure will generate when it's fully open. I just had my first IPR fail on the electronic side and that's what it made, about 230 psi. I know it was fully open because the solenoid was open internally.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update. Thanks to all that replied again. Got it running last night. When i got the hpop cover italready had a updated stc fitting, decided to change it anyway sinci i was there and had a new one. Put a wrench on the fitting and it was loose, weight of the wrench was all it took. Put it back together and after 4 20 second tries it fired up. Still takes about 10 seconds to startbutit starts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.