Died on HWY, No Crank - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 04:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Died on HWY, No Crank

I am experiencing this issue right now. I was driving down the highway and noticed I had suddenly lost power. I pulled over and verified the engine was still running. Then I tried to take off again. This time the engine turned off completely. I pulled off.
Troubleshooting begins:
1. Key on - no underhood activity, dash on, windows and other accessories work.
2. My scangauge is not getting data. (PCM suspect)
3. Key to start - starter will not engage.
- Had truck towed
4. key to start - started right up, had some jerky throttle response, then seemed normal
5. Took the batteries to autozone for testing. Both 12.5v @ about 85% charge, reinstalled
6. Inspected Fuse 22. (satisfactory)
7. Took the truck around the block. (tried) Upon accelerating the engine turned off again and I barely made it to a safe parking spot. Same indications as before. Walked home thinking it might be time/heat related.
8. Unplugged the center connector on the PCM. Truck turned over but no start.
9. Replugged the center connector on the PCM. No underhood activity, no crank
10. Switched out the relay for the PCM. No change.
11. Turned key to on position, got into the engine bay and started moving things. When I pushed in on the forward most FICM plug the underhood activity was restored. THe truck cranked and fired right up.
12. I intend to remove and expose as much of the wiring harness as possible this weekend and verify routing and insulation on the harness.

Hope this helps someone out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2013, 05:18 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raudi View Post
I am experiencing this issue right now. I was driving down the highway and noticed I had suddenly lost power. I pulled over and verified the engine was still running. Then I tried to take off again. This time the engine turned off completely. I pulled off.
Troubleshooting begins:
1. Key on - no underhood activity, dash on, windows and other accessories work.
2. My scangauge is not getting data. (PCM suspect)
3. Key to start - starter will not engage.
- Had truck towed
4. key to start - started right up, had some jerky throttle response, then seemed normal
5. Took the batteries to autozone for testing. Both 12.5v @ about 85% charge, reinstalled
6. Inspected Fuse 22. (satisfactory)
7. Took the truck around the block. (tried) Upon accelerating the engine turned off again and I barely made it to a safe parking spot. Same indications as before. Walked home thinking it might be time/heat related.
8. Unplugged the center connector on the PCM. Truck turned over but no start.
9. Replugged the center connector on the PCM. No underhood activity, no crank
10. Switched out the relay for the PCM. No change.
11. Turned key to on position, got into the engine bay and started moving things. When I pushed in on the forward most FICM plug the underhood activity was restored. THe truck cranked and fired right up.
12. I intend to remove and expose as much of the wiring harness as possible this weekend and verify routing and insulation on the harness.

Hope this helps someone out there.
Sounds like a loose connection on the ficm, you are on the right track. Check the ground terminal at the end of intake, it goes to the ficm i believe. Keep us updated with the progress.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-20-2013, 05:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the quick response BlueDemon6.0. This is all taking place after last month's High Pressure Oil System debacle. I was trying everything and couldn't bring myself to pay for the HPOP. In the end that was the problem. Hey, but not almost every single o and d ring in my system has been replaced. :-)
This website, and a couple others, were a great resource for helping me through that. Hopefully I can get some information out there. Other threads on this seem to be mostly dead ended or hi-jacked.
I'll keep this posted. Hopefully tear in on Saturday morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.