NEED HELP!!!!! CKP and CMP problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 02:17 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
NEED HELP!!!!! CKP and CMP problems

Ok guys this is going to be kinda long to explain what has all happened. OK, one night after work i pulled my truck to our wash bay at the shop and pressure washed the engine off. I cranked up the truck and it was running like ****. It was smoking and you could hear alot of diesel knock. I pulled the truck around the building and shut it off. I tried to start it back and the injectors would not come on. I checked power at the FICM fuse and it was good. I checked the codes and it said all 8 injectors were shorted to ground. I had a FICM that is good that come off a 2003 model and tried it. It would crank but run very very rough. I learned later that an 03' model will not work on my 2004 model. I then sent the FICM off to be repaired and the guy said it got water inside of it and it was burnt beyond repair. So, i bought a reman FICM and stuck it on. All injector codes went away but now it was saying that the cam and crank position sensors had open circuits and was hard to start like it had no fuel but you could hit it with either and it would run for a little bit then go to running bad again. I replaced both sensors just hoping when the FICM shorted it shorted the sensors as well. That didnt change anything what so ever. On my scanner where it says "FICM SYNC", it says "no". Should it say "yes" at all times or only when its running. Also, where all do i need to check as far as the circuits for both position sensors?? I know that was alot but i am in need of some desperate help. Thanks for looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2013, 08:38 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
"FICM SYNC", it says "no". Should it say "yes" at all times or only when its running.
It can't give you any Sync info until the engine is cranking. Open circuits are usually connection issues. You could still have water or corrosion in a plug or a damaged wire. It sounds like you blasted the "do not blast" areas.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:23 AM

If it says that it is synced together, does that mean tht the FICM has the correct programming for my year model truck?
Old 08-18-2013, 11:44 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
who's reman ficm?
Old 08-18-2013, 12:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

what scanner are you using? AE dosn't have a high enough refresh rate to get accurate FICM sync signal. Usually on the AE it will say NO until the engine starts and switch to YES, then it will toggle between NO and YES.

I've also seen a tone wheel skip just slightly on the crankshaft and cause the same exact issues. Eventually it will lead to a no start. These kind of issues will drive you nuts.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:30 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
It can't give you any Sync info until the engine is cranking. Open circuits are usually connection issues. You could still have water or corrosion in a plug or a damaged wire. It sounds like you blasted the "do not blast" areas.
I thought it sounded like water got into something as well, which i suppose is kinda obvious from the original post, the question is did something fry because of it or does he need to get in with something to get the water out and of where...

BUT as I am pretty new to these as well I kinda wanted to know what are the "DO NOT BLAST AREAS" you speak of? as I am kinda OCD about keeping my engine clean
Old 08-19-2013, 06:28 AM
Premium Member

The Owner's Manual list the areas such as the FICM, GPCM, valve covers (injector connections), intake connections, and any other area with electrical connections. So, when using a high pressure washer, just about the whole motor area has some jeopardy.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
The Owner's Manual list the areas such as the FICM, GPCM, valve covers (injector connections), intake connections, and any other area with electrical connections. So, when using a high pressure washer, just about the whole motor area has some jeopardy.
allrighty then
so no washy washy maybe low pressure with a low pressure rinse
i just GOTTA try to get it cleaner cant fight that. lol

thanks for the heads up. perhaps i can get in with degreaser and some towels but i will never get it truly clean that way
Old 08-19-2013, 03:03 PM

I sent mine to a guy in Winona, Mn. (speedometerrepairguy.com) He said the FICM i sent him was so bad that he had to order one for me. I dont know where he go it or anything. The only thing i know about it is that is says "remanufactured" printed on the International label. Where all do the Crank and Cam sensor circuits run? I understand i got water in the FICM. I am fully aware of that. What i am getting at is, What all could fry considering the FICM burnt up??
Old 08-19-2013, 03:04 PM

I have a $2000 scanner from Matco. SPX is the people who made it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.