OK, CPS and Belts for the 7.3, what for the 6.0??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2006, 01:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OK, CPS and Belts for the 7.3, what for the 6.0???

When we go out Bush, we reaaaally gooooo waaaay out....! You can be 500km from the nearest town in Australia!!!

Anyway, I carry radiator hoses and a surpentine belt and of course the infamous CPS for my 7.3.... What should I carry for the 6.0? And if a starter dies can you pull start the 6.0 Automatic in a pinch with dually's...?

Sounds a bit far out, but think of your Effie on Mars (Mission to Mars was filmed here out near the Opal Fields of Coober Pedy where most of the town lives underground like a Mole City)... Ha!

The Ranger in Oz is not crazy, my business is exploration way out on the fringe. Not selling, I am booked out till July of 2007 anyway, but if you want to see what exploration of Oz is like have a look at the pictures of the www.bushtracker.com website just for fun. And no this is not commercial as I cannot ship them to you, freight is toooo exxy..! But you might have fun looking at horsepower on the "Last Frontier" friends... I am here with American Quarter Horses as well, performance cow ponies, since I missed the America of 150 years ago. Guess I would've been a scout for wagon train then.. Ha!

Will wait on your advice.. Kind Regards to all, Ranger..:drive:

Last edited by Lone Ranger; 10-17-2006 at 01:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2006, 03:15 PM
Banned

For the 6.0 you only need a few inexpensive items like 8 spare injectors, a spare turbo, spare EGR Valve and maybe even the more expensive items like a fuel filter.

I don't have the correct answers for you Ranger, but the guys with early build 6.0s might agree with that first sentence. This motor seems like one of those things that if you have a good one you're gold but if you get a bad one you can't get keep it out of the shop or get away from it in the end.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720Deere View Post
For the 6.0 you only need a few inexpensive items like 8 spare injectors, a spare turbo, spare EGR Valve and maybe even the more expensive items like a fuel filter.

I don't have the correct answers for you Ranger, but the guys with early build 6.0s might agree with that first sentence. This motor seems like one of those things that if you have a good one you're gold but if you get a bad one you can't get keep it out of the shop or get away from it in the end.
Thank you for the sentiments, and you could be right... The Importer has been the Ford Fleet Compliance Guy since 1992. He gave me the history of the 2003, 2004, and told me about the turbo clearance problems and what they did to fix it, machining on the turbo itself, some corrosion problems if left set too long, etc.. He claims the turbo problems were fixed in the 05 and my 06 by Ford increasing the clearances on the inner part of the turbo housing. He also claims to have the technical details on the EGR, and why the early ones up to 05-06 had the problems but why the 06 did not have the problems. I could ask for the Technical details if anyone wanted to know. But evidently the injector problems, turbo problems, and EGR problems were sorted out in the first three years.. And now problems are much more rare...

And yes, all new engines and new trucks have teething problems, I have seen it over 50 years. In all fairness the same Rep told me to stay the hell away from the new 6.4 and let it settle in for the first two years as well... Mind you it would take that long for us to get them here to be Complianced anyway.

But I think my source is Credible, maybe Marc can jibe in here with his perspective on it, see if he agrees with the Ford Fleet Compliance Rep for Australia. From my experience, Marc is a pretty straight whiz on this tech stuff....

My guy volunteered all of that history, and you are right it is a hit and miss thing, but according to him it is sorted out now. I will get more engineering details if anyone wants it, but he convinced me by telling me how the mods evolved to meet the problems encountered.

Regards from Oz, Ranger doing research on several fronts.... As I advise my own Fleet of about 100.... to the best of my poor ability..

Old 10-17-2006, 04:02 PM
Banned

That's mostly how I feel about at this point. I didn't want one of the first 6.4 motors and had heard that the 06 and up were good. I hope it works out that way. I figured it was less of a gamble going with the 6.0 for now. Besides that the 08 grill and headlights scare me!
Old 10-17-2006, 04:32 PM

Hello Deere,
Just got off the phone with him now. The EGR is now a different valve, and no more bugs. The Turbo has additional clearances, and no more bugs. He has had Zero problems with injectors or the new Transmissions. In all he maintains this is THE NUMBER ONE truck in this class above all.

I guess I think so too, as I just paid a frightening price for it.. Ha!

I'll wait until 08 or 09 to see how the 6.4 goes with big loads and hard going. The Techies think I will be in love with my King Ranch until then Deere... But time will tell and I will let you know if it is love.....

Ranger in Oz... Come on down, it is my shout, (I'll buy us a round- a Shout at the bar)../.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.