Bad HPOP? 6.0 demons - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 07:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry Bad HPOP? 6.0 demons

hello I have a 2005 f250 6.0 a couple weeks ago on a Tuesday it took about 1 full minute of cranking to start.. I drove it home from work that day ran fine once started next time took a little while to start drove about 30 miles and parked it. next day drove the spare car sat all day got home take it to the store ( took some time to start again ) get there shuit it off for about 45 minutes come out cranked until batteries died came tried to jump start plugged my mac mentor in only making about 25 lbs high oil psi at the time during cranking towed it home. But some background information the truck just clicked over to 170,000. At 119k the previous owner had an egr cooler failure and they pulled the heads off put head studs in it and basically put it all back together. At that time they also installed a delta force flashable programmer with the highest setting being 100hp, installed an EGR blockoff plate with an OEM egr cooler, a 4 inch lift, cold air intake and dual exhaust. I bought it with 143k and ever since ive owned it I have never ONCE been able to sense how long its going to take to start (80% of the time would fire up within 3 revolutions but could take 1 minute sometimes) usually when it wouldn't start I would let off after about 4 r 5 revolutions cycle the key hit it and it would usually fire after the 2nd r 3rd time doin this. I replaced the FICM because it was only putting out 28 volts upon cold starts and 43-45 hot cruising at 55mph. I took it off the road for the winter at 166k and tore it all apart I found the original standpipes and stc fitting (as worn out as they come) still installed (must have put them right back in when they did the studs) and also found when I took the b lockoff plate for the EGR cooler that it had blown another cooler. I noticed the whole 23k miles I owned the truck that the engine oil temp stayed a steady 230 with coolant always at 185. so I rebuilt the oil cooler, updated the STC fitting to the new one, reinstalled the stock HPOP, bought 8 reman injectors and installed them, reinstalled the stock IPR, reinstalled the stock oil rails and installed NEW updated dummy plugs and standpipes and switched over to rotella t synthetic 5w40. Fired the truck up it ran great for about 2 weeks then one day it started EXACTLY like it used to took about 1 mnute of cranking to start but then fired up and ran fine. then it started doing it about once every 3 days until the week it quit all together. Now I have it torn apart and with the ipr out of the hpop and everything in the system tight witht the ipr port being the only open spot.. I have NO oil coming out. Would this be the way to see if the pump is bad or is there an internal passage that the ipr blocks the oil from where its running right down thru the updated fitting into the branch tubes. I also took the icp sensor out with the ipr still in and cranked it and still no oil. PLEASE HELP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013, 04:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

just curious is your lpop supplying good oil pressure
Old 08-13-2013, 05:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Take off the oil filter cap, remove the filter, push the valve in the right with a screwdriver, turn the engine, does the oil comes up fast?...
Old 08-13-2013, 06:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I can check tomorrow I was thinking about just taking the HPOP off and checking to see if oil is coming from there while cranking but I will try the oil filter method as well. Ive got to assume at this point it has good low oil pressure because it always ran at a good spot on the gauge (a needleswidth under 2/3 up the range on the gauge) **ALSO IN CASE I FORGOT TO MENTION I FOUND DEBRIS ON THE IPR SCREEN WHEN I PULLED IT OUT THIS TIME AS WHEN I PUT THE NEW INJECTORS IN IT WAS CLEAN AS A WHISTLE **

Last edited by jwash7309; 08-13-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

took the oil filter out and cranked it.. plenty of oil rushing into the filter reservoir and from where the hpop bolts on
waiting on a new hpop that I ordered took the old one off doesn't make any sound when I turn it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.