Loss of coolant, no other HG/EGR Symptoms? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 04:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Loss of coolant, no other HG/EGR Symptoms? UPDATED FIRST POST!!!

Hey y'all, how's it going?

Well I just put a new coolant reservoir in my truck on Friday. The old one was all gross and had a few hair-line cracks in it. So I figured what the hell, might as well replace it.

I've always had a coolant loss since I bought the truck in April. Before it was leaking somewhere, and then the leak just magically stopped. Now the coolant disappears. While trying to burp the cooling system of any air bubbles the other day with the install of the new reservoir, I discovered I have a ton of back-pressure on the cooling system. So I'm thinking great, cracked heads. I mean the truck already has ARP studs, so it has to be that right?

Well the only problem is, is I have only those 2 symptoms. Loss of coolant, and a lot of back-pressure on the system. My cap does hiss obviously because it's venting but it doesn't puke like you would typically see.

I have heat at idle when I'm at operating temp, no white smoke, and no oil in my coolant. Just this mysterious coolant loss.

Too my knowledge (dealer's word here) I have an EGR delete. I have no idea how to check and see if that's true or not. Could someone maybe tell me how to identify the EGR by looking in the motor? I looked kind of under the turbo and I don't see anything there but maybe there's another way to check? Also with the EGR valve can I just take it out and inspect/clean it? I'm honestly too lazy to go and buy o-rings for it (broke as hell, too!) but I always see you need to replace the o-rings whenever you take the valve out. If they o-rings are fine, why replace them? I know if I remove the valve I can then check the intake and see if there's any coolant in there which would point to an EGR failure (if I even have one!!!).

Anyway, has anyone else had a mysterious coolant loss, with no obvious leaks and high coolant system pressure and it NOT be the heads? Maybe a crack in a hose or something? Radiator issue?

Also if it helps whenever I unpressurize the cooling system by removing the cap, it bubbles a little bit like there's an air pocket somewhere.

I'm too broke to fix it if the damn truck needs heads, and if it does, off to a dealer she goes on trade towards a cummins

Thanks y'all!

Also if anyone could run an OASIS report on my truck shoot me a PM

EDIT EDIT EDIT:

Well last night I parked the truck and went to bed. Today I woke up to this

So I did some reading about the EGR orange hose, even though I was pretty sure I bought it with a delete. So I climbed up on top and looking down on top of the engine it's wet with coolant. It's like that on both sides. Here's a pic on the passenger side, right under the turbo where orange/blue egr hose would be. I think that black hose is going into the oil cooler?

Anyone have any ideas? Also isn't that where I would see an EGR if I had one?

Forgot to mention, it's leaking on both sides underneath.

Last edited by jmoney330; 08-14-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013, 11:33 AM

jmoney:

I just posted almost the exact same post. I do not know where it is going either. I do not know if my system is being pressurized, I guess I will check that as well.

Good luck to us both.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:10 PM

Yes, climb up on top of the motor and with a good light look down in front of the turbo and to your left side of the valley you should see the egr cooler if one is there. It will be hooked to the exhaust up-pipe on that side. It's kinda square and goes from under the intake manifold to the exhaust pipe. If its deleted the up-pipe will just be a smooth round pipe. Or maybe have an outlet with a cap/plug on it.You can probably find some pics on here if you search.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Johngalt:

Have any luck yet? I've just started to have a coolant leak underneath the truck on both sides of the engine.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check your clamps on that black hose that is the coolant bypass for your delet.
There is also a o-ring on the teardrop shaped cover that the other end of that hose goes into the bloc/cooler
Old 08-15-2013, 11:24 AM

No .... no clue. I wish I had a puddle under my truck, that would give me some hope of finding the problem. I pressure tested the system as seen on you tube videos, and never exceeded 10psi. Still going somewhere. I do not understand, and no-one chiming in with ideas.
I still have an egr cooler (I do not know if it is original), but it is not showing the normal signs of leakage.
Cat ELC is too expensive to watch go away.
Yup.... looks like your egr cooler is MIA, likely a good thing. But something seems to be amiss under there.

Must be a "black truck" thing, mine is as well.

Last edited by Whoisjohngalt; 08-15-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well John, I think I figured out what's wrong with mine. And of course it's not good.

I took it to a reputable shop in my small town (probably the only one that's ever done 6.0s), in fact he just got finished putting the cab back on an 04 King Ranch about 30 minutes before I pulled in. He came out to my truck and immediately knew there was a problem with either my heads, gaskets or both. Unfortunately there's no way to tell until the truck is taken apart. I mean, just gaskets would be affordable, but new heads,

Well needless to say when I popped my de-gas bottle cap off it was just bubbling. So much back pressure for when he used a block tester it would just blow bubbles into it and it was obvious right there. Not to mention you could smell diesel exhaust coming out of the bottle. Looks like I have two exhaust systems on my truck now! Wonder if this one will blow some black smoke?

Anyway, unfortunately this coming week they will be out of town on vacation. But the week after that I'm taking it first thing that Monday morning to have it all taken apart and fixed. (I'm gonna ask if I can help out a little, maybe learn a bit more about my truck and how the engine works and stuff, I think that would be really cool!!)

But I think I'll bite the bullet and just get it fixed somehow. Good news since I already have studs I can reuse them, and that saves about $500! I was part shopping and this is what I found:

OE Gaskets from Quick Tricks Auto: $155/ea
New Heads from Quick Tricks Auto: $800/ea
Dorman FICM: $116.15 shipped from Amazon
Dorman Oil Cooler: $121.90 shipped from Amazon

The coolant is also getting flushed and I'm putting in a coolant filter as well as CAT Rated EC-1 ELC Coolant and I'll get my oil changed while I'm there.

So that's where I'm at right now.

Anyway John with your pressure of your cooling system low I'd rule out HGs. I've never had mine up to a gauge but I know it would at least be 16 PSI, hell maybe even more if the cap can't release pressure as fast as it builds. Maybe you have an air pocket in the cooling system somewhere? Have you felt all of the hoses when the truck is at operating temp to see if they're all hot? Do you have heat at idle?
Old 08-16-2013, 06:13 AM

I had heat while I was doing the flush. I was running the heater during the flush (of course those were the 90+ degree days), and "oh yes" the core was full of fluid then. Driving around in "flip/flops", I had to use cruise control, or I began to smell the burning of flesh... my feet.
I am still hopeful it will eventually just "burp" big and with the void filled, stop needing it. It is not my daily driver,and right now is at FORD getting the front axle seals done again (they did it 2 weeks back, now both are leaking). I do not want to offend any Ford teck's out there, but these dudes (at THIS dealership) seem to be good for changing oil and tires, I would never consider letting them get at my 6.0.

If it is the head gaskets I have resigned myself to doing it myself. I can afford to have it "down" for the month it will likely take me. Still not sure though.
Thanks for the input and the references, and the thoughts. When I get home and get her back, I will try to pat her on the back more and hope she burps up some air.
That really sucks about you HG's, I am likely facing the same thing to a lesser extent the you right now.

I would, however, google and read any reviews you can find before purchasing any Dorman products. Do the reaserch first, then as "FOX NEWS" says, ... you decide.
Just sayin

I told myself to never again buy a Black truck

Last edited by Whoisjohngalt; 08-16-2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Coolant Missing

The same thing is happening with my f350 dually. i noticed the coolant was disapearing and i have to keep adding more and my buddy jb says i need new head gaskets. i hope thats not it cause then im ****ed and i cant afford that right now. any ideas?
Old 09-10-2013, 08:16 AM

I took mine to a local lad who makes a living working on these trucks. He had one in the shop with the crew cab up in the air. I was able to get a close look at what was involved. He looked mine over and told me not to worry about it. He did notice the head bolts were marked, a sign they had been removed before, I guess the factory does not do this. So they have been off before. I am still looking for the "smoking gun" of a weepy leak somewhere. I did find it damp under the turbo and around the hose that attaches the egr cooler to the oil cooler. It was so grimey though I could not tell if it was oil or coolant. I cleaned it off as best I could and need to drive it for a while to get a better look at what is dampening the area. I found oil in the compressor outlet (hose headed for intercooler) and I will likely post a question about that here, it does not seem normal either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.