Excursion Stalled NO START 0psi ICP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 10:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Excursion Stalled NO START 0psi ICP

My Excursion stalled on the highway and will not start. Towed home and fully cooled down and still NO START.
I had already replaced the STC fitting 6 months ago but now this problem. The truck has 90,000 miles and is very well maintained.

BASE oil psi is OK. Cranked and oil filter housing filled in 5 to 6 secs of cranking.

The IPR valve screen is clean as a whistle. Looks new, no damage and no filings or any contaminants whatsoever.

I am going to pull the HPOP and replace with new unit I ordered no matter what I find.

I am also replacing the IPR valve since I ordered a new one anyway.

BEFORE I pull the HPOP I want to do an air leak check.

Can I do this since the turbo has been removed?

I want to remove the valve covers as well since I will be replacing the standpipes and dummy plugs.

Basically with the valve covers removed and the HPOP cover removed but HPOP still bolted in can an AIR LEAK test be performed at this stage?

would I hear if air was leaking at injectors or standpipes at this stage?

I just want to fix this but also update all the components that will probably fail in the future anyway.
THANKS!

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I hooked up 12v to the IPR valve and I hear no difference in the air seeping from the engine.

I have air escaping from the drain orifice of where the turbo drain pipe hooks up. Turbo is removed.

There is absolutely no differnce in the air I am hearing. To be honest I do hear air in valve covers a lil bit and alot if I take oil filler cap off. Lots of air moving around the HPOP but like I said giving voltage to the IPR makes no difference?

I never did an air test before and dont know if I did it right. I removed the ICP sensor from valve cover and added the air there.

Please chime in bc I really am not sure if what I posted means anything one way or the other.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

im in the same problem
Old 08-15-2013, 07:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I pulled the valve covers and pulled out the standpipes and dummy plugs. The o-rings were in good shape and intact.
The passenger side standpipe did not come out in 1 pc and I ended up pulling the oil rail on that side to get the bottom section of the standpipe out. I guess that is normal. I dont know for sure.

I removed the evap cover to give more room and that will be a big help when I assemble it. Little bit of a pain in the rear end though. I also removed the splash apron from the passenger side wheel well. Removing those items was tedious and I dont look forward to reassembly but the access you gain is excellent. Having the evap cover removed should aid in torquing down the oil rail and standpipe.

My gut tells me the prob lies in a bad IPR valve but either way I am replacing it and the HPOP and will also in stall a new STC fitting. The updated STC fitting I have now is only 6 months old but I cant see reusing it on a new HPOP since it only costs $29 for a new one.

I just hope that what I am doing solves the problem. I prob should pull the injectors but I am not going to. I was gonna replace the HPO sump filter but that was done 5000 miles ago and I dont think I want to pull the oil cooler again. Oil cooler was replaced 5000 miles ago and new screen installed at that time.

My existing IPR screen was clean and looked brand new so I am reluctantly gonna say the sump screen is hopefully in the same shape.

These 6.0's are tough customers. When they are running they are great but all these problems seem to ALWAYS happen and its not a matter of IF but WHEN!

Thats a terrible thing to have to deal with, its a guarantee that they will eventually need this work done.

I say to anyone reading this if you dont have an edge CTS, get one. They are great. Get the optional sensor to read fuel pressure with it.

Knowing your fuel pressure is a MUST!

Monitoring your ECT and EOT is a must as well (edge is great for that).

Changing your oil and fuel filters with genuine motorcraft is a must in my book. Clean good quality oil is a must as well.

When you change your fuel filter you MUST change both the one on top of the motor as well as the frame rail mounted one. I think people change the easy one on top and neglect the frame rail one. Doing that you may inadvertently be sending low fuel pressure to your injectors which will wipe them out in no time. The edge allows you to monitor that with the accessory option. A MUST!
Old 08-15-2013, 07:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ITS RUNNING!!!

Since I replaced the major components I guess I will not know which was the culprit.

Took quite a bit of cranking. 3 cycles of 15 to 20 seconds and then it came alive. I let it run for ten minutes and then shut off and was another long cranking cycle of about 10 seconds. Ran again for a few minutes and shut it down. Once again a long cranking cycle of about 8 secs to fire.

After a quick ride around the neighborhood it then started a bit quicker like 5 seconds.

From what I understand it can take 100 miles before all the air is purged from the oil system.

Hopefully its fixed.

One snafu unfortunately and it was costly. When I pulled the passenger side oil rail it got caught and came off a lil crooked. I didnt realize it at first but the tip of the #8 injector had the spring steel clip broken and the metal washer (or whatever its called) got broken as well.
I went to local injector shop and he could have replaced the clip but that other part isnt a something that is serviced and was told he couldnt get it. I had to bite the bullet and get a reman injector for $298. Oh well it was my fault for not being as careful as I should have. I was careful but I dont know. Sucks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.