Ocassional differences in oil and coolant temps 15 to 16 degrees - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ocassional differences in oil and coolant temps 15 to 16 degrees

Most of the time my coolant and oil Temp differences are about 8 degrees. That's typically empty on the highway or pulling a 4500 lb trailer around town and on country roads. Recently I rented a 30 foot RV trailer and every so often when pushing it just a little I would see a rise in Coolant and Oil temps with a 15 to 16 degree difference. Wouldn't last more than a minute or so. Seemed like this would occur when the thermostat would open and coolant temps would drop quickly but the oil temps would remain almost unchanged. Didn't really push the truck cause it just wasn't necessary so most of the time I would see temp differences of about 8 to 9 degrees.

Truck has 107,000 miles on it and has had 2 coolant flushes during the course of the years and milage using the Ford Gold Coolant and staying on top of the modified Ford flush intervals and procedures. Getting close to time to be thinking about flushing again.

I've heard the use of evans coolant with no water will slowly remove some of the silicates that tend to be left by the Ford Gold coolant. Don't really want to replace the oil or EGR coolers unless absolutely needed.

Question 1) Do these temps sound normal?
Question 2) Would you switch to Evans coolant with no water at this point without replacing any oil or egr coolers?
Question 3) Should I get an SCT to simply shut the EGR valve off, no power mods?
Thanks for any and all help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2013, 09:51 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Well I can answer the first question. Those temps sound fine because the delta should always be based on driving 65mph down the highway with no load on. Since you had a load on it is normal for the delta to be greater than average for a period of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.