High oil temps need help please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
High oil temps need help please

Hello I'm new to this site and just need help I have an 04 250 160k miles with egr delete new oil cooler alum. Radiator straight pipe exhaust and an sct tuner. All done 40k miles ago I am running higher oil temps with my ect stayin 190-204f and my eot are running at 218-230f . What can I do to reduce my difference in the temps? Do I need to do a flush? Any ideas ? Thanks guys
Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2013, 02:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sadly to say but with those #'s your oil cooler has seen better days. Pretty much only thing you can do is replace it and go another 40 k if all go's well or go the Bullet Proof Diesel route and forget about it for good.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:15 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Agreed, did you change coolant while you where at it? Meaning did you get rid of the ford gold coolant? What about a coolant filter? Looks like your doing an oil cooler replacment again.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yes I changed the coolant when I did the oil cooler. my next thing to buy is a coolant filter ive heard nothing but good things about them. and kennisoj does the bullet proof oil cooler really help that much ive heard mixed things about it?
Old 08-10-2013, 10:46 AM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Heck yeah it helps… lol. It changes the coolant to oil cooler design and
makes it a air to oil cooler. You will NEVER plug that cooler and never have to worry about coolant/oil deltas again. If you have the money is definetly recommend it!
Old 08-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok thanks!!!! ill definitely buy one my buddy is part of a diesel racing team and is giving me 190cc injectors and an aftermarket turbo so when we go in to put all that in and put in new headstuds ill buy one and put it in there while we've got everything torn down. its not expensive if you look at it for in the long haul. itll pay off if I don't have to replace more oil coolers down the road!! thank for yalls help I really appreciate it!
Old 08-10-2013, 01:27 PM

Id also go ahead and go for the UPGRADED or larger cooler if I was gonna do it all over again. Its kinda one of those why not type of things. Overkill is normally just about the correct mixture.....
Also if you can swing it go ahead and get the bypass filter set up. Then you dont have to break it all down at a later time to install it.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:39 PM
Premium Member

I'm sorry to say that the guys posting above are spot-on. Your oil cooler is clogged. Options are another OEM one (plus adding a coolant filter to prevent re-plugging) or a BPD cooler. And before you do a simple cost comparison and think you can do several OEM oil cooler change outs for the price of the BPD unit, there are many people that have had multiple OEM oil cooler failures (plugging and also rupturing), some as soon as 15K to 20K after the previous changeout. Not worth it in my opinion, especially after seeing my friends truck with what looked like gray mayonaise in the degas bottle when his oil cooler ruptured.

My oil temps have always been good, but since the truck is currently down for studs and head gaskets (and all of the other ususal component upgrades), I'm also having the BPD oil and EGR coolers installed at the same time. I want to pay for it once, and dont want to go back into the motor any time soon.

Good luck
Old 08-10-2013, 01:44 PM

You goin with the larger upgraded BPD cooler or the original?
Old 08-10-2013, 03:03 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinnisoj View Post
You goin with the larger upgraded BPD cooler or the original?
The heavy duty one (tall version). Same one that Jetjock has on this truck. He posted a photo yesterday in this thread:Relocating BPD Oil Cooler

Last edited by skanj0; 08-11-2013 at 05:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
flush coolant, oil temps, solutions, temperatures

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.