6.0 rough idle/hesitation - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 rough idle/hesitation

Hi I bought an 03 6.0 crew cab about a month ago from an auction, I am new to diesels. I did the balloon test and traced down a bad #2 injector I have replaced that and sent it to ford to have it reprogrammed. My issue before and after the injector and reprogram have been the same minus Obviously no more smoke from the bad injector. Fresh cold start in the morning idles pretty rough but if you let it run for a minute or 2 and shut it off and restart it it will idle and run perfect, but then when it gets to normal op temp or slightly before it will have a rough idle again and feel really doggy until you start to build boost while in boost it feels like it has normal power until you drop back out of boost. I have cleaned the egr and replaced the bad O-rings and no change. Suggestions please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2013, 06:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have researched what I could but everyone with this issue has a hard start/no start issue, smoking, very random rough idle or sluggish, mine is the same everyday no issues with smoking or no start/hard start. Everything is great except for that issue.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Post some stats. Rough cold starts, rough cold idle, hesitation, all point to either weak or dying FICM (possibly caused by bad batteries, alternator, strategy, or combo), Injector stiction, or possibly even poor fuel pressure.
1) load test batteries individually for condition
2) test charging circuit
3) Test FICM voltage KOEO, during cranking, and KOER (cold)
4) treat stiction with REV X and switch to full synthetic oil, w/ oem filters changed religously.
5) Get a engine monitoring system such as Edge insight or ScanGauge II
6) Drive it like you stole it regularly
Good luck with it
Old 08-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Oh yeah...
7) test fuel pressure (@ idle and under load) nothing less than 45 psi

As far as the FICM goes, nothing less than 45V
Old 08-09-2013, 07:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys for the input! Ill get on that. Now as far as switching to full synthetic what are your suggestions? Straight change or go to a blend for a bit and then full? Also yes from any reading ive done motorcraft only filters and that's what I just put in.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:49 AM
Serving Our Country!

Many of us run Rotella T6, the injectors will thank you for it. When I switched over, all I did was drain the old stuff, and put the new T6 in there. Almost immediately it ran better
Old 08-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I checked both batteries and they are perfect, as far as the charging system I am getting good voltage but only 90amps. I am not sure if this has dual alternators or not I guess I haven't dug into it too much. Soon I will switch to rotella and get some rev x. I did notice that after I get the rough idle and hesitiation once its really warmed up and been driving for awhile it does go away completely until you shut it off and let it cool down again. Currently running 15w40 non synthetic with a motorcraft filter.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:02 PM
Smoke Eater

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to fdchief
sounds like you def have the tell tail signs of stiction... that rev X should help out with that.. switching to t6 will def help with that... may also wanna look into ArchOil... stuff works great... ive been running it with no complaints at all. i used rev X in the past with no complaints as well fyi.

Wanna get the oil changed and REv X in there asap though.... prolonged stiction= injector failure.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the input!!! Hopefully the end of the week I can get it done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.