Late Model 6.0 Engine OK? Bugs worked out?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2006, 10:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Late Model 6.0 Engine OK? Bugs worked out??

Well, the Lone Ranger in Australia is going to buy a new Crew Cab Dually 4x4.
Yes I would like to wait for the 6.4, but this is Australia.... We won't get them through the Australian Design Rules (ADR) testing for about 18 months to two years.

So, I have an opportunity to buy a 2006 Kings Ranch CC Dually 4x4.... Should I??? Good engine??? PARDON MY STUPIDITY BUT I have never even seen a 6.0 until last week.... Since we have no chance of ADR Compliance for two years minimum, is the 6.0 good? And is the Tranmission in that year the new TorqueFlite sort of Allison Pattern?

It looks reeeeel niiiice.... Never had a new one... What do you think friends?

Thanks in advance, Ranger in Oz....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2006, 06:02 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
Well, the Lone Ranger in Australia is going to buy a new Crew Cab Dually 4x4.
Yes I would like to wait for the 6.4, but this is Australia.... We won't get them through the Australian Design Rules (ADR) testing for about 18 months to two years.

So, I have an opportunity to buy a 2006 Kings Ranch CC Dually 4x4.... Should I??? Good engine??? PARDON MY STUPIDITY BUT I have never even seen a 6.0 until last week.... Since we have no chance of ADR Compliance for two years minimum, is the 6.0 good? And is the Tranmission in that year the new TorqueFlite sort of Allison Pattern?

It looks reeeeel niiiice.... Never had a new one... What do you think friends?

Thanks in advance, Ranger in Oz....
The 6.0s run like a scalded ape but some 03 and even 04s had issues with injection systems, turbos and EGR valves. I think the trannys are solid and I like the way it performes. I can't tell you if the problems have been completely ironed out but I believe they are going away from the HPOP injection system because it's just not a good design. I have an 03 and i am having issues with injectors but thats a long story. Could be related to using vegi oil as fuel, could be related to power mods I added....waiting to find out the answer to that but the simple fact is, that injection system is a poor design in my opinion and I will not own another 6.0 for that reason. I wouldn't own the one i have if i had researched more and found this out 2 years ago. My dad had a new 6.0 and I drove it and I was like "WOW" and I wanted one. I got one, and now I'm looking to trade it in on an older 7.3.
just my .02
Old 10-16-2006, 09:42 AM

The late model 6.0s have been pretty rock solid... The injector issues that were related to the HPOP design have pretty much been ironed out... The common rail diesel design that will be going into the 6.4 is not a new one but is not that mature in the "small" diesel designs.... One of the reasons that International/Ford will be going with that design is they will also be incorporating piezo electric injectors in the new design... Piezo, from what they've learned in Europe over the past couple of years, is a very good technology for small diesel engines... Mann diesel of Europe (one of the companies under the International brand) has been working on it for several years as has Mercedes.... I doubt in Australia that you have the whole EGR crap that we do here so that will pretty much remove any other issue that has ever hampered the 6.0 Powerstroke... As to the transmissions, they have been a very good part of the overall Superduty series since it's introduction....

Ken....
Old 10-16-2006, 09:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to slammedSI Send a message via MSN to slammedSI Send a message via Yahoo to slammedSI
Go for it the 6.0 is one of the best. Most will say that they had problems but i dont feel all of them did or ever will. It was a hit and miss on the 03's to the early 04's.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:49 AM
The Fat Mod

Sounds like a sweet ride, go for it and let us know what you think.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:05 AM
Serving Our Country!

My 06-6.0

I have a 2006 and have 17890 miles on it and so far it is doing great, love the power and when pulling the RV. The ride is vary good for a one ton Crew Cab Dually truck.
What do the people in Australia think of our King Ranch? I thank they are one sweet ride. Good luck on you buy.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:05 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Did i mention I paid $30k for mine 2 years ago and now I'll be lucky if I can give it away because no one wants an 03 and some people just don't want a 6.0 period. If I take it to a dealer to trade in, I'll be real curious to see what they will offer me for it.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:03 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
2005 and beyond 6.0's are good. Still haven't been proven like the ole 7.3's BUT if you want a new truck you gotta go with a 6.0 unless you want to wait for the unproven 6.4 I personally would say a 2006 SuperDuty is a good buy and the trans is the BEST on the market.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD40 View Post
I have a 2006 and have 17890 miles on it and so far it is doing great, love the power and when pulling the RV. The ride is vary good for a one ton Crew Cab Dually truck.
What do the people in Australia think of our King Ranch? I thank they are one sweet ride. Good luck on you buy.
Thank you WD40, and all others that respond... The King Ranch model looks like a little more chrome, as in the mirrors, exhaust tip, grill, bits and pieces, and a fancier dash and leather interior..... Which is reeeeeel niiiiice...!! I have never seen another "King Ranch" F-350 here in Australia, so I don't really know what the upgrade costs??? What does it cost there in the good old US of A???

This one is a new 2006, with a coil front suspension, fold up seats and cargo or bed base tray under the back seats of the Crew Cab... Extended power Mirrors with lights and indicators, lights across the top, Alcoa style alloy Truck Wheels, leather and full dash of toys and stereo, so really it is just a dressed up 350 with leather interior. I really like the look of the two tone paint, but anyway what is the pricing difference of the truck there in America?

You would be SHOCKED to find out what I am paying here. Try this on:
$117,000 Aus which is X .74 U.S. so $86,580 U.S. Dollars. However, now that you catch your breath a little, that is less about $12,000 for the conversion to Right hand drive and Compliancing to Aus ADR, and about $12,000 Freight, that drops it to $62,580... Figure they are making maybe $10,000 on the truck to bring it over, that makes it $52,000..... So now, break my heart and tell me what you can buy a loaded "King Ranch" F-350 Dually Crew Cab with bed liner for in America?????

Unfortunately if you want a new nice twuck, chew got no choices over here on this little big island...

By the way, Thank all of you for your kind and considerate answers. This is a big purchase decision for me, my first NEW Ford, if I go through with it...!!

Lone Ranger in Oz....
Old 10-16-2006, 04:16 PM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
You would be SHOCKED to find out what I am paying here. Try this on:
$117,000 Aus which is X .74 U.S. so $86,580 U.S. Dollars. However, now that you catch your breath a little, that is less about $12,000 for the conversion to Right hand drive and Compliancing to Aus ADR, and about $12,000 Freight, that drops it to $62,580... Figure they are making maybe $10,000 on the truck to bring it over, that makes it $52,000..... So now, break my heart and tell me what you can buy a loaded "King Ranch" F-350 Dually Crew Cab with bed liner for in America?????
OMFG! Your kidding me. $53k is probably what I could go buy that truck here for.....But I wouldn't ever pay that much for a truck that wasn't making me money like mine isn't. Mine is a toy and sometimes a hauler...actually right now its sitting without one valve cover and 8 crapped out injectors. If I had a job that requored this truck i could justify that i guess. But holy CRAP! I paid 29500 for my one year old with 28k miles on it. I's not a king ranch, it's a lariat.
What are you going to use it for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.