03 F250 6.0L no start when hot - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
03 F250 6.0L no start when hot

Neighbors truck starts fine when cold and has good power. He can drive normally with no issues as far as he wants. But when shut down it will not start. Just crank. This will happen after 2 miles of warmup or 20 miles. But runs good when it does start. A "mechanic" told him it needs a new HPOP. I'm thinking ICP or o-rings somewhere, perhaps standpipes, dummy plugs or the HPOP itself. If the HPOP was junk wouldnt he have trouble running and cold starting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2013, 03:15 PM
Serving Our Country!

Is the dummy oil pressure gauge working on the dash? 03 and 04 models were common to have a bearing blow out of the machined hole on the HPOP. My 04 had similar symptoms, but with no oil pressure on the dash. I took out the HPOP, sure enough there was a big hole. I tapped it out 1/4 NPT and threaded a plug in there with loctite. Runs great now. But I think if that's the case the gauge will be 0 when trying to start warm, at least that's what mine did. Besides that it could be just about everything you mentioned. Your neighbor needs to get a good scanner on it, see what the ICP is, also the IPR % desired vs actual readings. HPOP could be going south, but I'd think he'd run into other problems as well.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

First do a air pressure test, then see whats next, dont rush into the problem
Old 08-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Premium Member

^^^ Agreed
Old 08-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Serving Our Country!

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like "do this and it will be all better" I was just sharing what ended up being wrong with my truck when I had similar symptoms. I only shared this because with an air test the HPOP would fail in this scenario, but instead of paying $650 for a new one, you can buy $5 worth of parts and fix it yourself.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hey guys new to thread but hoping I can help...just wondering does your neighbors truck have an extended crank when the motors cold also.. like 7-8 seconds then it fires over? if so your problem is most likely the o-ring seals in the bottom of the tube that pick up the oil to turn the motor over. what happens is when the oil is cold it is "heavy" and still has a lot of viscosity to is so when the oil tube is leaking down it takes an extended cranking period to build 500psi to detonate the fuel in the cylinders. and when the truck is hot it will just crank and crank bc the oil is so warm and loose that the o-ring that is blowing past cant hold enough pressure back to build your 500psi..i know im bad at explaining things but I hope this helps. its needs a new dummy plug there only like $25 bucks but its like a 4hr fix bc you need to pull the valve covers which means everything under the hood has to come off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.