Blow-By Cylinder #8 is at 50% What should I do? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 05:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Blow-By Cylinder #8 is at 50% What should I do?

Blow-By Cylinder #8 is at 50% What should I do?

In one of my earlier post I had a no start problem, it ended up being the IPR, So I had to change it, because after I clean it out and tried to reuse it still would not start.

After I changed it, about 200k later I started having the same problem but this time I was getting a p2284 code.

Because my truck being down so long I couldn't make a living, so I had to bring it in.

All the forums were saying that it was the IPR again but this usually happens after an EGR delete causing Contamination, but my delete was done about 10 months ago.

Anyway I brought it in and they stripped it down and there was all types of contaminates and debris the oil cooler area. the oil cooler filter was totally destroyed it was completely clogged up and the lower left portion of the screen was completely blown out.

The IPR Screen was totally impacted and pieces were stuck in the hole. The Tech was saying he is pretty sure this was caused by the egr delete and he was surprised it didn't happen sooner and do more damage.

So when they got it started he noticed there was blow-by really bad from my oil filler cap and dip stick (which I had never seen before) so the re-tested the pressure and my #8 cylinder was at 50% of all the other ones.

The tech basically said " drive it till it fails or until I have enough money for a rebuild or an engine swap."

Does anyone know what could have caused this.

Do I rebuild the engine, just fix that one piston, buy a rebuilt engine or buy a used one.

Thanks and God Bless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2013, 06:02 AM

The same thing happened to my buddy's 6.0. Once we pulled it apart we found a hole burned through the piston and the cylinder was a mess he ended up buying a used motor and we rebuilt it. It's a perfect time to delete and stud it up as well.

I'd say pull it apart if you can and see what the damages are you may save your self some cash and time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 08-01-2013, 06:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanso22 View Post
The same thing happened to my buddy's 6.0. Once we pulled it apart we found a hole burned through the piston and the cylinder was a mess he ended up buying a used motor and we rebuilt it. It's a perfect time to delete and stud it up as well.

I'd say pull it apart if you can and see what the damages are you may save your self some cash and time.

Thanks for the reply, that's the problem when my guy did my delete he left debris in there , according to the dealership. I'm am going to do the studs when she goes and just reuse the delete kit I already have.

Do you know if the engine will give me signs before she fail completely or do you think she will just drop dead out of the blue
Old 08-01-2013, 06:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

50% is a lot more than bad rings could let by

so I was thinking cracked or holed piston in my unofficial guess LOL

also but I am not sure how the delete install would have contributed to blow by and piston issues

how many total miles on the motor ?
Old 08-01-2013, 06:45 AM
Premium Member

The EGR delete should not have caused any problems, unless you introduced some foreign objects into the intake and #8 was the receiver. Fixing it now will definitely be cheaper than driving it to ultimate failure, which could occur at any time, usually when you don't want it to fail. Of course, if you are doing an engine swap, it really doesn't matter.

If you have driven the truck 200,000 miles since the last update, you are probably ready for a major rebuild, especially since you have a major issue. Look around, you can usually get a good used engine for about $3k-5k if you need it up and running right away.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
50% is a lot more than bad rings could let by

so I was thinking cracked or holed piston in my unofficial guess LOL

also but I am not sure how the delete install would have contributed to blow by and piston issues

how many total miles on the motor ?
Actually the mileage is high at 267,000 miles. I'm not sure what caused it, but my original problem was the IPR getting killed twice and the oil cooler screen was completely blown out in some spots.

The tech said that this was caused by debris left in there from the egr delete maybe some fragments of the screen made there way in there, not sure. All I know, there wasn't any blow-by happening before I brought it in, so I'm totally confused, now.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:08 AM

You could have a stuck valve, wich is not sealing the cylinder totally, because if you had a good engine and suddenly you dont, its not as bad as a blowed piston
Old 08-01-2013, 07:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCanek View Post
You could have a stuck valve, wich is not sealing the cylinder totally, because if you had a good engine and suddenly you dont, its not as bad as a blowed piston
how could I find out if its a stuck valve, the tech said there was a remote possibility that the ring could have some how compressed in and sometimes they just pop back into place, but it rarely happens. Could this be true. and if so how does the ring all of a sudden get compressed in.

Last edited by iamnucleus; 08-01-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnucleus View Post
Thanks for the reply, that's the problem when my guy did my delete he left debris in there , according to the dealership. I'm am going to do the studs when she goes and just reuse the delete kit I already have.

Do you know if the engine will give me signs before she fail completely or do you think she will just drop dead out of the blue
His motor which had 160000 on started running terrible suddenly while pulling a hill unloaded. I think the pcm had a tune on it when he bought it and he didn't know so he wasn't monitoring it. But we limped back and it was just a dog and bellowed thick smoke so I feel you would defiantly know when it sh!ts the bed. It could also be a stuck valve like mentioned its worth pulling it apart and investigating.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:17 AM

Take the valvetrain out, take the glow plug out, put air pressure to the ctlinder via the glowplug, ou will hear the air comming out the valve in the ports. Obviously you have to take the intake and exhaust manifolds off, if you cant hear a noise, just remove the head, you are some bolts away
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.