Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

HPO Leak, Need Advice Please

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Bluedemon6.0 
#1 ·
Early model 05 6.0 Super Duty. The truck has 70k on it and has had no work performed other than fluid and filter maintenance. Recently replace a bad FICM w/ Swamps 58V and most modest flash upgrade.

Driving down the road it died and will crank but no start. I installed a scan gauge II and programmed it for FICM sync, FICM voltage , ICP and IPR. FICM looks good but ICP reaches only 317 psi and IPR hits 85%. Sounds like HPO leak, right?

So I pull the IPR valve and find the screen to be near pristine but the green o-ring has a 1/4" chunk missing from its ID. I pull the screen and found pieces of the oring under the screen and in the valve. Must have been from the factory supplier if the screen is good, right?

So, a few questions. I am pretty sure I have removed any debris from the oring from the valve. I accomplished this by compressing the valve and blowing thru the holes on the valve sleeve and think I have all the oring pieces cleared. I want to order the seal/screen kit. Should I go OEM or is there a better aftermarket?

I want to leak test HPO system after reinstalling the IPR. I have a fitting for the IPC and plan to supply air there. Would it be best or remove the turbo and HPOP cover before the leak test or just leave them be?

The FICM measures 58V output w/ a meter. The scan gauge on shows 47.8V. Any reason for the variance?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions. It is appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
One other concern I have. Since this truck has an 12/04 manf. date (an early model 05 as I understand it). Do the dummy plugs and standpipes need to be updated to the new OEM ones on this truck? If so, would most here suggest replacing them now, since I am in it this far already?

I don't intend to seem ungrateful or impatient. I am neither. Like I said, I truly appreciate any advise you 6 liter guys are willing to share. Any one interested in helping get an old man pointed in the right direction to get his truck going?

#3 ·
Well, I got it running. The green oring (I think it's the Viton ring) on the IPR valve, was apparently the problem, like I described in my earlier post. I was apprehensive about just putting a seal kit on the IPR and calling it good. I did compress the valve and put 100 psi shop air to the holes in the sleeve again before I rekitted the IPR. I did account for at least 90% of the missing oring material as I cleaned out the valve. Hope I am not taking a stupid risk here. Any comments but I h I now know I need the upgraded stc fitting, standpipes and dummy plugs in this model truck.

I didn't leak test, I just put it back together and the truck fired right up.

#5 ·
Sorry about the typos. I suspect from every thing I've read on the forums, I can now expect a common failure at the stc fitting, standpipes or dummy plugs. Since I will do them all at once when I next experience an HPO leak related to any of those failures, is there any upgrade to the HPOP and/or it's components I should do at that time also?

I suspect when I have injector failures in the future I should do certain upgrades at that time as well. What are some of the things you all like to do along w/ injectors?

I would like to BP the whole truck but can't afford parts right now. I will install a cooler filter soon. Any ideas on what kit I should use? I am also wondering if I should just wait until I start seeing related EGR symptoms before worrying about a delete kit?

Anyway, just wanted to share what one 6.0 owner that works on his own truck has experienced in the event it helps someone else. I will keep reading sticky's and tech notes I can find on the forums so I can continue to learn these motors and get better at repairing them.

#6 ·
If it an't broke don't fix it. The reason I say this is it is going to break, you can always update to the blue spring and delete the egr if you want to start the bullet proofing cheap. I have a sinster diesel coolant filter and egr delete, nice cnc parts and easy to install. First install a good monitor and check out stickies on 6.0. Glad to hear you fixed your HPO leak, easy and cheap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.