One More 6.0 No Start thread....PLEASE HELP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 07:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
One More 6.0 No Start thread....PLEASE HELP

I have searched and gotten loads of knowledge here. I also know that there are a ton of threads covering this exact same issue, but I can't make them all fit my scenario. So here goes.
Got a 2006 F250 xlt 4x4 6.0 Powerstroke Turbo Diesel Automatic transmission. Haven't had the truck very long so not very sure on exact history.
Since i have had it, it has had problems starting up again after running. Did research found issue to more than likely be high pressure oil problem. Found that we could start truck with a little ether sprayed over the air cleaner after the plugs had cycled a bit. Then truck would run fine.
Life got in the way, repairs/diag got put off.
Then truck started dying randomly. Nothing big, happened twice, both times, little squirt of go juice and she was running. Then 3rd time she died going down road, no start whatsoever. Cranked till batteries went bad. Had towed to shop, he checked, said icp was reading 40 psi, (need 500 to start), and that we needed hpop. Left it there, then later decided to replace pump ourselves because he was busy till later this week.

This is what we have done and what the truck had already

The truck has a egr delete, though right now the valve is still installed and plugged in. ( i have a block of plate, it's still how it was when it got it), an airraid cold air filter, straight pipe exhaust from the turbo all the way back. I also have an sct itsx tuner, that was working great, but now i have truck set back to stock for testing.

I have replaced the hpop,
the dummy plugs have been updated to the 12mm style, though the stand pipes are still 10mm, they do look good, though ive only checked the top parts. The ipr valve was replaced with the hpop all o-rings were replaced and all fittings were checked for damage. All looked good. Also went ahead, got 2 brand new batteries.
After hpop and ipr install, re-assembled truck. Still crank, no start. Every now and again, we can get the truck to fire for a very short interval ( 10-15 seconds) then nothing.
ipr duty cycle is reading 85%, ficm reading good, not sure what icp is reading, have to go back and check. ( i know that is going to be key in this, think is was either 4.0mPa=+/-580 psi or .4mPa = +/- 58 psi.)
That's where we are though, big black beauty, stuck in the driveway. Please help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 11:25 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Did you do 2 or 3 cranks of 20-30 seconds to refill the HPO system. It usually will start after about 30-60 seconds of cranking. Only after this period would I check the ICP/IPR readings. The HPOP is a pretty simple repair as most newer rebuilds come with the new STC fitting, seals and a new IPR. If you have done this, is your pressure good at start >500 psi but during a long crank even up to 2500 psi? Big difference between 58 and 580. Volts will be 0.8 to about 2.5 with a good typical IPR of 35% once it is normal (up to 85% on a very long crank). If not, then you need to find the real cause if the diagnostics were not complete.

Since you have an 06, hooking up air to test the system is a bit easier. Search it out there are a few good stickies, but ultimately the 4 areas to listen for signs; they are the heads (rails and injectors seals), HPOP cover (STC or seal to oil distribution), oil filter housing (HPOP), and oil pan (IPR not closing). Of course, you start with the IPR and ensure the valve closes when you apply power to the IPR and move on from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.