6.0 stuttering/missing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 07:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry 6.0 stuttering/missing

I have an 04 6.0 with 110k on the clock. Just replaced the oil cooler. Everything came apart and went back together fine. started it up and ran fine idling. Drove for a couple days with no problems. Then this started. At about 50+ mph the truck seems to have a miss/stutter. Hot or cold doesnt matter. Ive had problems with stiction before but that only did it when oil was cold. Rev-x helped that problem. It does it on acceleration also. Turbo is boosting fine. I cleaned it while I had it out. I checked all plug ins and everything looks good. Im getting a p0405,p1000,p2290 codes. I know the p0405 is egr since its deleted. The p1000 i have no idea about. The p2290 is icp.

The icp code i can clear and it might not come back for a couple days. The truck still has the problem when code is cleared. Can a failing icp cause a miss/stutter? Truck starts fine hot or cold. I dont have funds to replace injectors so im hoping its the icp. Please help!

Last edited by 6.0kansaspowerstroke; 07-28-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2013, 08:29 AM

when reving it in park at about 2k rpm it starts cutting out and sounding like its missing. The icp voltage is anywhere from 1.9-3.6 ish.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:03 AM

Old 07-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Premium Member

I hope you get an answer as I`m having the same problems as you.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:26 AM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Usually the ICP would cause the truck to die when warm and not want to start. Not quite sure it's your ICP.

I will pass this thread on to a good tech here and see what he has to say.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:31 PM
Premium Member

My truck would stumble with no load (like high idle 1200rpm). FICM checked out fine, ICP was good, so I ran a cylinder contribution test and found cylinder 2 to be weak. Ended up being a fuel injector so I just sent out all 8 to be rebuilt and bumped up to 155. If the ICP is good and you are sure your FICM is fine it is most likely an injector. However, low fuel pressure and dirty filters can cause similar symptoms.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:10 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
sounds like the famous fuel injector failure to me..
Old 07-28-2013, 02:23 PM

Thanks rattlesnake18
Fuel filters were done about 1000 miles ago. Im not ruling that completly out.
I unplugged the icp sensor and started it up and went for a drive. No stutter at any point in the rpm range. Did lack power and would only build about 20 pounds of boost. Guessing cause its only reading default info.
Stopped and plugged it back in and still no stutter. Power was back boost was back ran like it was supposed too. Is the sensor the culprit? Im hoping it is cause thats alot cheaper than a set of injectors. Its driving me mad.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:09 PM

Old 07-30-2013, 04:41 AM

I can tell you from personal experience that, at least on an '04 model, if you run it with the icp sensor unplugged, plugging it back in while the engine is running does not cause it to start using data from that sensor again. You must shut it off and restart it, then it'll use sensor data. I know this because I recently fixed a truck with a bad icp sensor. What happened was that unplugging the sensor caused the truck to immediately run right (minus some power, as you described) and watching the sensor values on my scan tool I could see that it started using default values when I unplugged it. Plugging it back in while running did NOT cause the symptoms of the bad sensor to return. As you would expect, it also still showed default values for that sensor. Shutting the truck off and restarting it with the sensor now plugged in DID cause it to go haywire, with the accompanying crazy sensor values.

So, my point in all that rambling is that if you are plugging the sensor back in while it's still running, you are not actually causing the ecm to start using that sensor again-it's still running off the default table until you do a shut off/restart.

Edit: I may have misread your post a couple up from this one to mean that you plugged it back in while it was running. If so, disregard all my drivel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.