Any ideas? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 08:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any ideas?

I have some experience with 6.0's but I work mostly with Cummins and I picked up a very nice looking 6.0 from an insurance claim for a very good price, knowing it didn't run. Now everything electrical is working lights/ignition/etc. But when checking the fuel filter there was no fuel coming in, when trying to start it doesn't crank and just makes a steady whine. I heard there was a relay for the fuel pump but I can't seem to find it so I don't know whether it is the pump or the relay. Also my cousin told me that when replacing the starter they may have not shimned it would that explain the fuel? The fuses seem to be good aswell. Any ideas welcome thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2013, 12:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think you have seperate problems going on.

I assume you mean the starter will not roll over the engine but will whine when key is turned. If that is the case the bendix is bad in the starter and is not throwing out and engageing the flywheel. As best I remember the 6.0 uses no shims.

Now for fuel just for referrence there are 2 fuel filters on a 6.0 one on the frame rail under the drivers door under the truck. this is also the fuelpump. The other is the smaller of the 2 houseings on top the motor. Which did you check?
Old 07-27-2013, 09:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy950 View Post
I think you have seperate problems going on.

I assume you mean the starter will not roll over the engine but will whine when key is turned. If that is the case the bendix is bad in the starter and is not throwing out and engageing the flywheel. As best I remember the 6.0 uses no shims.

Now for fuel just for referrence there are 2 fuel filters on a 6.0 one on the frame rail under the drivers door under the truck. this is also the fuelpump. The other is the smaller of the 2 houseings on top the motor. Which did you check?
I was checking the fuel filter in the motor I haven't got around to checking the other one yet. So you think that if I replace the bendix and fuel pump ill be in good shape?
Old 07-27-2013, 09:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Actually the belt did spin a little bit it did rollover a little bit but it wasn't cranking just a steady sound
Old 07-27-2013, 10:45 AM

I suggest changeing the bottom fuel filter and a little further testing before spending ny more money
Old 07-27-2013, 10:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oh of course, a buddy of mine who knows more about powerstrokes and specialized in them is coking to check it out this weekend and were gonna run some diagnostics and I have another fuel pump for a 6.0 Latin around I wasn't planning on spending much money. Just checking to see if it was a common issue with them and you guys could tell me exactly what it was
Old 07-27-2013, 04:40 PM

Dude, did it had any crash? Because if it has had any, thetes is a button on the passanger sidd that blovks the electronic stuff like the solenoid in the starter engine, wich makes the brndix(gear) engage the flywheel/flexplate) and also blocks/blows the fuel pump to prevent fire. The button is next to the AC divice in the passanger side of the dash close to the door floor
Old 07-27-2013, 04:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Not that I can tell the body was clearly painted by an amateur and it has a few scratches on the bumpers but no real damage, there was also an empty can of silicone spray in the bed and the filter was open so they were spraying into it trying to start it, ill look for the button though thanks
Old 07-27-2013, 04:44 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The inertia switch may be tripped as posted above.

Given the history of the vehicle I would try barring the engine over by hand before diagnosing any starter concerns. It may be hydrolocked or even siezed up.

Also the starter exciter wire comes up to a connector near the right front fender in the engine bay. Applying power to this will spin the engine without any interference from the PCM.

Last edited by sinner6.0L; 07-27-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The engine not siezed like I said the belt spins when trying to crank it but ill check that wire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.