Weird noises at shutdown - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 05:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Weird noises at shutdown

I just finished putting my truck back together after the plug in the side of the hpop blew out. Since I had it apart, I also put in an EGR delete kit. It is a 2004 F250 6.0, but must be a mix of the early and late model. My ICP is on the passenger valve cover, but the hpop cover was the early style.

It seems to run fine now, but I get some odd sounds especially when shutting it off. It sounds like air rushing through the air filter box. I can hear the turbo spinning down, too. I did some searching and someone else made the analogy of a roller skate wheel, which sounds similar to what I am hearing right before the turbo comes to a stop. I also get a loud droning noise when idling and driving.

I have never noticed any of these noises before. Is it possible for the truck to run if the 45 degree CAC boot is cracked? Mine did have visible cracks, but I didn't inspect it closely enough to see if they went all the way through, just replaced it. I'm wondering if that is related to my airbox noise.

Because of the air box noise I am hearing, I'm thinking that is where the droning sound is coming from. Either that or the 4" downpipe is now resting on the frame rail somewhere after reconnecting it to the turbo.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2013, 07:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

It is the EBP sensor, change it. It sounds like the brake engine of the trucks downhill
Old 07-29-2013, 06:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I think the EBP sensor is working correctly. I get readings of around 14 at idle and it goes up as I accelerate.

It seems to start hard lately too. It cranks for 5 or 6 seconds and then slowly sputters to a normal idle.

The drone actually seems to be a vibration and sometimes changes intensity and/or stops depending on which way I am turning. I'm not sure if that is related or just coincidence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.