no start, sometimes cranks sometimes no crank - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 11:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
no start, sometimes cranks sometimes no crank

I've got a 05 F350 4x4 Lariat with a 6.0. I bought this truck at auction and am having a no start issue. A little history on the truck first:

This truck was previously owned by a landfill company and was used as a supervisors truck. In the year before the truck was put up for auction, the following things were done to the truck. Both alternators replaced and all 8 fuel injectors replaced. When I got the truck, I removed the Napa oil filter and cap, and napa fuel filters. I replaced them with motorcraft filters, The upper alternator was missing , so I installed a new upper alternator.

The motor was hydro-locked and found that the rear fuel injector on the passenger side was stuck open and flooding the cylinder. I replaced this injector. After replacing the injector, the truck would start up and run. After driving for a short time, I would shut the truck off and try to re-start, I would get a no crank no start condition. When this condition was present, the wrench would come on in the dash and the odometer numbers would turn to -------'s (dashes). After cooling off for a short time the motor would start back up.

The wiring harness to the fan clutch was pulled apart at the connector, I got a used fan and re-inserted the wires/pins into the motor side connector for the fan clutch. This seemed to clear the no crank/no start condition. I drove the truck on short errands daily for about a week without issues, so decided to try driving it to work. It got me to work and back on day 1, but on day 2 it died. The motor would crank but not fire. Got the truck towed home.

I bought an autoenginuity scanner with the ford enhanced options. Over the next couple of months, I used the scanner several times, but do not recall what codes I had. A couple of weeks ago, I was performing a KOEO test with the AE and the scanner hung up. Since this happened, my AE has not been able to communicate with my truck. I have used it on my 99 F250 7.3 and my sons expedition, so the scanner is working, but will not connect to my 05 F350. Strangely since this has happened, the truck relapsed back to a no crank/no start condition.

I put 2 new batteries in the truck and hooked up a battery tender as I don't know how long it will take me to fix this truck. After the new batteries and disconnecting the PCM connections I still had a no crank/no start condition.

The other day while having a smoke, I decided to put the keys in and try cranking it. To my surprise the motor would crank, but still not start. No smoke at all out of the exhaust and no fuel smell in the exhaust when cranking. (same condition as when the truck died on me on my way to work).
Today I tested the FICM and got 0 volts with key off, 54 volts with key on while injectors were buzzing, 54 volts after buzz and 54 volts while cranking. Doesn't sound like a FICM issue. I tried connecting my AE scanner and still no communication and when I hooked the scanner up to my OBDII port, the truck reverted back to a no crank/no start issue. I can jumper the starter with the wire under the passenger side hood and get a crank, but still no start.

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts on what might be going on or what I can check next? Without the AE communicating I cant read the codes but I'm sure there are other ways of checking or testing components. I've got a multimeter to test with. OH yes, I forgot that I have pulled and checked every fuse in the truck and did not find any blown.

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry for such a long post.
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013, 11:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I just had the very same problem with a 2006 6.0L truck.

The problem was in the harness between the fuse box and the dash.

Lucky me i have a lot of power strokes, and i just changed the wiring and the problem was gone, i will upload some pictures of the components you should check in your wiring, please wait a moment.

Also, you have a wrench in your dash, and the OBD2 won't engage, your tach wont go up if you crank the engine, right?
Old 07-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

When it s a no crank/no start situation, I have the wrench light lit up. When it does crank but not start, there is no wrench lit up on the dash. Not sure on the tach part, but I cannot get any communication through the OBDII port.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This truck has the crappy on board message computer. When the truck is in a no crank/no start mode the system says that I have a motor sensor fault and a transmission sensor fault. No error messages show when the truck is in a crank but no start mood.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:25 PM

This is the part that hooks up to the wiring that has the MAP and the Barometric, etc.

This is the part that hooks up to the dashboard.

This is the part that hooks up to the ground, it is just to the left of the parking brake pedal, in the cabin chassis.

And this is the part that hooks up to the OBD2 harness of your scanner.
The Blue/White goes from the Fuse Box -> OBD2 -> Power Point.
The Yellow and the Black goes to the other harness
The Orange goes to the logic part of the Dashboard
The Purple goes to the PCM
The Black/White goes to the ground

Check the continuity of the wiring from the OBD2 to the terminals.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you very much Jorge, I will check this out and let you know what I find.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:34 PM

Also, just get someone to start the truck, and you should pull the wires that connect the engine harness to the fusebox harness, just below the brake pump, and next to the ABS module, above the fender.

This is it:

Sorry for the crappy image, i'm at the workshop right now.

If you need further details just let me know.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:44 PM
Premium Member

I have also seen this before after picking up my latest truck, thinking it was bad batteries and after replacing the batteries, thinking it was a bad starter. As it turned out, the starter solenoid was bad, but was not the reason for the dashes. The intermittent ability to crank and the dashes was frustrating. I ended up cleaning all the ground and power points and have not seen this problem return in over a year. I was beginning to think the PCM was shot.

With the dashes appearing, it is indicative of a power failure or a bad PCM. If i were a betting man, you have a bad/corroded ground or power terminal. It is possible you may have an intermittent Vref short as well; but for now, you should check and clean all connections.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

A quick question: Could the wiring to the fan clutch cause the desribed problem? When I got the truck, the wires to the fan clutch were chewed up and all of the wires and pins were pulled out of the motor side connector to the fan cutch. I have pushed the wires back into the cnnector but there are some sharp bends in the wires just outside of the connector. I cant see any chaffing or cuts in the wires, but I am suspicious of the quality o connection I am getting at this point.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:03 PM

Nah, we cut the harness in the motor and the fan sides, because we block the fan clutches. here is a picture of it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.