Returning p0470 code after ebp replacement - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 03:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Returning p0470 code after ebp replacement

I have an 04 250 and about 8 months ago started getting a p0470 code. I would clear it and it would come back, sometimes in a day other times it would take a week. I eventually replaced the ebp sensor and the code did not comeback for a couple months. It has started coming back and again when I clear it, it comes back after different amounts of time. I have looked on the forums a lot but can't seem to find anything with my exact problem. I live in so cal so I know it is not the cold weather issues that some have had. Any in sight would help as I really don't want to go to the dealer and spend an unknown amount of money. Ps the truck seems to run just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2013, 04:22 PM
KCCO!!

What's your rig so we can help you out better. Sounds like the tube from the exhaust manifold to the sensor may be plugged with soot since you've already replaced the sensor.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The truck is an 04 250 w/5r110 auto 4x4 w/170k, the only mods are 4" exhaust, bulletproof egr and oil cooler. I did take the tube off prior to replacing the sensor and it was actually really clean but I still sprayed it with cleaner and ran some pipe cleaner through it until they were going through and coming out clean. What about a map sensor issue causing this code? I'm I actually looking at something that may not be causing the problem?
Old 07-23-2013, 08:57 PM
KCCO!!

Shouldn't be unless MAP/BARO/EBP are different at KOEO. They should all run the same. When you fire her up MAP and EBP should rise a bit. If there is no noticeable difference in how she runs, give her a day or two and see if it clears after a couple of key cycles. Hopefully someone else can chime and help...

Just re-read your initial post..key cycling obviously is a no go...maybe the sensor has gone bad again? Or a small hole in the tube?

Last edited by kells17; 07-23-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:32 PM
KCCO!!

You could check your MAP sensor hose and connection for cracks, poor connection and/or damage. The only other thing that I could think to check would be possibly your turbo boots. Make sure they are not cracked or damaged, how do your boost numbers look?
Old 07-23-2013, 09:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm limited in what I know because it is so stock so I don't have a boost gauge or any good scanner. I only have a simple scanner to read the codes but nothing that moniters any of the sensors. I will check the boots but it doesn't really feel like it drives much different then it did before the issue started (well I least that I can remember since its been so long) I do tow a 27 ft toy hauler with it and it does it with no problem so it doesn't seem like its lacking much power if any.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:54 PM
KCCO!!

Check your boots, map sensor hose and connection and get back to us...have you checked the tube for build up lately? Egr valve clean? I'm running out of thoughts..
Old 07-23-2013, 09:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I haven't checked the egr but I will check the boots and map tomorrow and let you know. I appreciate the insight and hope I can get this thing taken care of finally.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:02 PM
KCCO!!

No worries, we will get her happy!
Old 07-24-2013, 03:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok so its been an interesting day.
First thing in the morning I checked the map hose and turbo boots and all clamps and everything seemed to be ok. I pulled the ebp sensor out and just blew it out with my mouth not a compressor and put everything back, cleared the code and started the waiting game. Been driving the truck around all day and have not had the code come back (which by itself doesn't tell me much as it is inconsistant anyway). There is one difference this time after clearing it compared to normal. Even though I thought the truck was running fine with the code I now believe it was not spooling up because when I drove it today and got on it when it would get between 3000-3500 rpm the turbo started farting and the truck chugging and blowing black smoke. Remember there is no tuner so the truck has never smoked. It did that like 3-4 times in a row then I was where I needed to be. I kept thinking about it and figured there was a leak somewhere that was giving me the p0470 code and then while checking everything earlier I fixed that problem so now the computer was letting the turbo spool correctly to full boost but now that it is the turbo may need a rebuild. Well when I got back in the truck to come home I got on it again and everytime all the way home it excelerated smooth all the way until the shift point and did not smoke at all. So my theory is that since it had been so long since the turbo was allowed to spool it had gotten clogged up and after getting on it a few times it blew the build up out and now should be ok. Does this sound feasable or am I in left field just hoping it was that simple after all this time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.