Fire Dept Needs help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 03:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fire Dept Needs help

We have a E450 Ambulance with 6.0. We have put a new motor in it by a local SVI vendor and recently had to put a turbo in it. We after the new motor it started surging off idle. no mater what the engine speed it seems like you are getting on and off the throttle, at a rhythmic pace. place that replaced the motor said it was the HPOP, replaced that and it didn't fix the surging, then they said it was,oil pressure tube, that did not work either. Townsend Ford said that this is a common problem and that there is nothing they can do. I believe they just have no clue what their talking about. I remember seeming something on here about a voltage drop might be causing the waste gate to open and close, or create a WOT-no throttle and this might be causing it. Please, if there is anyone on this forum or maybe a great powerstroke mechanic around Townsend, MA let me know. This truck makes driving in slippery conditions sketchy especially when you have your partner and a patient in the back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2013, 04:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
you might wanna check the FICM.. i never worked on an e-series before.. you should go buy a monitor for your truck/ambulance so you can give us readouts and we can better help you
Old 07-23-2013, 04:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just got off the phone with the people that replaced some parts on the motor. truck seems to surging at the 2000-2200 rpm, They think it has to do with the new software that ford loaded, thing is they put the same program in 12 other ambulances and they all work fine. Mechanic said when it was hooked up to the computer he didn't find any faults with the computer. and when they disconnected some sensors that it did not throw any codes. they said it seemed like the truck was running in "Back up fuel mode". He said that it looked like it the vanes and the EGR valve was the cause of the surge. That is the current update.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:56 AM

Dont know if your new motor came with a new ebp sensor, but that may be something to look into, my guess anyways. It could be a bad flash, not a common thing, but it can and does happen, ford will just have to reflash the pcm if its the case
Old 07-23-2013, 12:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Took the truck out and its surging through out the rpm range, not the 2000-2200rpm range the company told us. It did take about6 seconds to crank over too. don't know if this plays into the problem.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:46 PM

Might be a bad injector dumping fuel maybe, broken tip? If you could monitor things it would make it easier to diagnose. Id recommend Auto Enginuity, as it will work on all of the fleet.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:44 AM
Serving Our Country!

check a few of these things out:
Ficm voltage
fuel pressure
icp% shouldn't be below 15 and shouldnt be above 85 around normal driving like 50-60mpg should be in 20's.
ipr voltage
injectors- any fuel from the exhaust pipe? smoke, blue, white, black on start up?

If its surging I don't think its turbo related and the Ford dealer sounds like a crack-job to me...

a scangauge from bulletproof diesel has all the pre-programmed points to monitor for the 6.0 and would be the cheapest route for in-house monitoring.

icp and ipr problems are HPOP relatedish... and those and low volts to ficm can cause extended starts. also just to be on safe side check your batteries and make sure your alt is putting above 12vs.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

For what its worth my truck did that when I bought it. Turned out to be the solenoid that works the turbo. Everyone said it was non turbo related but I disconnected the solenoid and of course the truck did not run well at all but the surging stopped. Bought new vgt solenoid and surge went away.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:24 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
try a new VGT solenoid before anything. They are very sensitive to dirt or any contaminates. Something as simple as removing and installing the turbo can do it.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update- It ended up being the VGT actuator. Big thanks to Ben from Northeast Performance Diesel. Truck runs great now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ambulance, surging

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.