6.0 Low power, good boost issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 09:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Low power, good boost issue

Hello, My 2003 6.0 has low power as soon as it gets above 30mph. It had a oil leak in the high pressure system so i replaced the hpop, j tube and all nipple cups, o rings and injector d rings. It now builds over 3400psi of oil pressure but is still low on power.

It builds up to 29 psi boost. Fuel pressure is 55psi and doesnt change with load. ficm is 48.5 volts. New icp, ipr, and oil cooler. Egr delete. Starts good both hot and cold. Idles well, no smoke of any color at any throttle position. no codes.

I have read in other posts that the high boost and low power could be a turbo vane sticking issue. but this boggles me as if it has high boost should it not give it the fuel to make power. I would think if its making the boost it should make the power?

I thought maybe the catalitic converter was plugged so i cut the exhaust off and still has this issue.

Can anyone let me know if they have had this issue before.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2013, 09:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I aso forgot to add, after you let off the accelerator pedal the boost farts back through the turbo and you can hear it shudder.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:33 PM
Premium Member

That is a sticking turbo. Just went through it with my 04 excursion. The excursion is new to me with 101000 miles. It sat for a couple of months while I did the body work and paint. When it was all done, went for a drive. Had the terrible turbo farts, high boost pressures and it even took longer for it to shift. Pulled the turbo, cleaned it all up. Did the egr delete since I was in there too. Reinstalled the turbo and it is great again. Drove it 2000 miles two weeks ago on vacation without a single hiccup.

Pull the turbo and clean it up.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply. Ill pull the turbo and clean it. It has been sitting for nearly a month while i did the new oil pump, cooler and fixed all the high pressure oil leaks. So for the turbo to be stuck would make sense.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

After disassembly and cleaning the turbo the 6.0 is alive again!

After re installation of the turbo it first had no jam, but also low boost (previous problem was over boost). After driving it around for a few minutes it got better. About 5 mins of on and off the gas and it was back to full Jam. I think it took many cycles to get the air out of the turbo actuator piston. I moved the actuator cam around so much when i had it out that I pumped all the oil out of the actuator.

On the Autoenginunity scan tool it now maxes out at about 22psi boost, which is about right for a stock tune. And now if you sit and let it idle you can hear it stroking the turbo around occasionally so it doesn't stick, as well the vgt percent matches the sound of the turbo changing pitch at idle as it strokes. There is now no more farting back through the turbo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.