Starting Issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 05:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starting Issue

So I have a 04 6.0, I bought this truck about a year ago.

As soon I got it I did the following

Restore and Restore+ flushes
EGR Delete
Replaced turbo Y pipe
EGT Probe install
Oil Cooler replacement
Updated turbo oil feed and drain lines
Updated standpipe and dummy plugs
Converted to Rotella T6
New oil and fuel filters
Blue spring upgrade
FICM Resolder
Replaced ICP sensor

So the truck ran great up until about a month ago, which my HPOP blew the ball out of the side of it. I took out the pump and tapped and plugged the hole, which when I put it back together the truck ran fine. After running it a week or so I noticed it had a new hot starting issue which over the course of the month slowly got worse. Basically the symptom would be a really long crank time with it finally starting to catch and then after another 4-5 secs of cranking it would finally start. It would only do this when hot, when the engine was cold it would start right up. Towards the end there would be times that it would just barely catch and then not start, then after another 30 secs of cranking it would finally catch and run. Once it started it never had any issues with stalling or any noticeable loss in power.

I figured somehow I must have toasted the HPOP, I just finished replacing the HPOP and the IPR, while I had it apart I also pulled off the J tube and pressurized the oil system with air to see if I could hear any leaks, which I found none.

So now after I put it back together I still have the long crank but instead of catching and taking 4-5 secs to get running it just springs to life really quickly. If I shut the truck off and start it back up it will start right back up but if I let it sit 10 minutes it will take a long crank to start it, it's definitely starting different than before I changed the HPOP.

Anyone have any other ideas?

At this point only other thing I can think of is maybe one of my branch tubes is leaking? Or maybe a bad standpipe? I didn't hear any leaking when I pressurized the system with air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2013, 06:45 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have the same issue but only when it is cold. I thought mine was the FICM even though it showed 48 volts. I've been wanting to get the BPD 6 phase 58 volt FICM so I got and installed it yesterday but it didn't fix the issue. I plan on conneting AE and start the trouble shooting process. I'm interested in finding out what fixes your problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.