FICM issue....what else is new - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 10:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FICM issue....what else is new

Hey guys.

I am new to the diesel world but am not new to Fords. Built a 67 Mustang with a forged 5.0, 5-speed conversion etc. A 2002 Mustang GT with a fully forged, balanced and blue printed Cobra motor with a turbo, and now how a 2004 6.0 Super Duty.

I bought the truck about 3 months ago and loved it. However I quickly noticed a lack of power, the engine stuttered, and finally the check engine lights. I looked up on this forum for help, actually trolled for the longest. Begun using 5w-40 synthetic, fuel filter change, oil filter change etc (which helped) as well as constantly having to plug in the block heater while at work and home. I am in Texas and need a block heater, in summer!! After reading the codes it became apparent that the FICM may be on it's way out.

Based on the reviews from several threads I contacted Ed@Ficmrepair.com. He responded quickly to my questions and concerns. I went a head an ordered the Premium FICM option with the Atlas 40. They shipped quick! I ordered Friday afternoon and it was on my doorstep on Monday!

I had the old FICM out and Eds installed within about 30 minutes. Started the truck up..and..........Smooth start, no check engine light and was immediately able to drive the truck. No hesitation, no issues, no problems. I could definitely tell the truck had more uumph to it.

I just had to give a shout out to Ed and wanted to let you guys know about my experience. I know I am new here, but looking forward to talkin more with you guys!! Might even need to post up some threads about my old builds...

Peace,

Aaron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I had trouble with my truck starting ever since I got it last winter and finally had some people suggest that my FICM was bad so I checked it with my multimeter and it only read about 35 volts KOEO and about 40 with it running so I removed it and found out that it had already been replaced once in 2009 and it is already bad only 4 years later! So I sent it into Ed for the Ultra repair and 2 days later he called me and told me that he had it fixed and ready to ship but he found out that the FICM had a program that was known to kill FICMs so he suggested that I have it tuned to fix it. I then gave him the go-ahead at 8:30 that night and by 8:00 A.M he already had it being shipped back to me! I got it three days later and installed it and the truck runs better now than it probably ever did even when it was new!!! It starts quicker and runs much smoother after starting it and I can definitely feel the extra horsepower.

Ed did great work and has outstanding customer service. I would recommend his services to anyone having FICM trouble.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It's amazing what a properly working FICM can accomplish. I can't let my vehicles stay stock for long, now I am trying to think about what I can do next.

My thought is this, correct all known issues with the 6.0 (either as they arise or not, not sure) Injectors, fuel pump, egr delete, oil cooler etc, head studs etc. Once these little issues are takin care of then maybe throw a nicer turbo or some other goodies at the truck. Then again, behind every good man is a nagging women complaining about how much money is going towards said vehicle lol.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So, with my list of "to-do's" which would you guys recommend? This is my first diesel and am still learning the ropes with the 6.0.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

x2 for Ed @ Ficmrepair.com.

Power Stroked A-rod - You have a good list going but really depends how much money you want to spend right now. You can look at my sig and see what I have done and it's pretty much all I am going to do unless my headgaskets go, then I will go with a full bulletproofing. Though, I am going to add a new exhaust and MTW wheel soon.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I see you have the blue spring mod, have you noticed any difference with driveability or fuel consumption?
Old 07-22-2013, 10:24 AM

I can't say that I have noticed a difference. The only reason I did the mod is because members were talking about fuel pressure inconsistency and that the blue spring would fix the issue. It's a cheap simple mod you can do.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Stroked A-rod View Post
So, with my list of "to-do's" which would you guys recommend? This is my first diesel and am still learning the ropes with the 6.0.
Start with this: FICM Repair.com - Your Source for FICM Repair

I would do the easy stuff first (at least for me): the electrical battery/alternator wiring upgrades; coolant filter and Ford Gold >>> Cat EC-1 ELC or Ultra ELC and then go from there.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6.0, eds, ficm repair, problems, shaking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.