6.0 EOL Temperature too high? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 12:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 EOL Temperature too high?

Hello Forum:
I have a 2006 F-350 Lariat Dually with 50,000 miles on it. This past Spring I changed out the oil cooler, EGR cooler (Installed the Gen 2 cooler) and did some of the recommended updates that Vince at IPR in California told me to do. The oil cooler was a OEM replacement from Ford. 1) Before doing anything I boiled out the coolant system with the acid that Ford sells and then ran another product thru it after the acid bath. I then flushed with distilled water 4 or 5 times (took over a day to do all flushes) I tore motor down and replaced all above parts and replaced everything, no big problems other than a sore back. Replaced coolant with the product from International that sells for about $30.00+ per gallon. It was the type that the forums had recommended to use. Took truck out for a spin and the oil temp and coolant temp was 6 to 8 degrees apart.
I took the truck to Baltimore this past weekend (I live in Ohio) and the coolant temp (198-205) and the oil temp was (248-252) Huge difference while out on the highway. I was not pulling anything, just had the family in the truck. At one time the coolant temp shot up to 235 and the overheat light came on, 30 seconds later the temp dropped as fast as it came up. I pulled into a rest area and checked coolant level, it was fine although I could smell that sweet smell of coolant coming from somewhere.
I drove the truck home with no more issues other than the oil and water temp differences. After getting home I searched for a water leak and found nothing but I can still smell the slight smell of coolant when motor is warmed up. Its not coming from the exhaust so I don't think I have a blown head gasket. MY highway mileage was 18 MPG. I run synthetic "Royal Purple" oil. Any ideas from anyone on what is going on? Is the oil cooler plugged again? I have only driven it maybe 500 miles since the change out of the cooler? Why would the temp spike all of a sudden? I also replaced the thermostat in it and also the pressure cap on the degas bottle. Thank You for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
6.0 EOL Temperature too high?-001.jpg   6.0 EOL Temperature too high?-007.jpg   6.0 EOL Temperature too high?-005.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 12:15 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Sounds like your sensors might be messing up... Another member is a ford tech that posted the procedure for testing the sensors. I'll post it when I can find it.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:18 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Here it is... Read post #13

what is considered "high" deltas???
Old 07-17-2013, 12:19 PM
RollinEarly05...now

It's unlikely that your oil cooler is plugged again... But is NOT impossible, other members have had the same problem. This is why I opted for the BPD oil cooler
Old 07-17-2013, 02:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

OP -- what are you using to monitor temps? And not to cause undue concern, but its very common to blow a head gasket without having coolant coming out of your exhaust. Although not common, there are a number of people who have had a new oil cooler clog or rupture soon after the install.

I hate to suggest it, but it sounds like the new oil cooler clogged, took out the EGR, which then caused your head gaskets to blow.

I also opted for the Bulletproof Diesel oil cooler for the same reasons.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:06 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
I hate to suggest it, but it sounds like the new oil cooler clogged, took out the EGR, which then caused your head gaskets to blow.
This is exactly what happened to me! Good luck
Old 07-19-2013, 02:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Let me ask you this.... Would the new oil cooler I purchased be undr warranty from Ford? It only has 4 or 5 hundred miles on it. I contacted IPR and he just asked me if I was pulling a trailer and then never responded back. I had purchased everything from him. I do have a SCT tuner on it with custom tunes. I have been running it on "economy" but have bumped it up to "extreme race" and did a few burnouts but that was before I tore it apart and updated. I have been gentle with it since the updates. I might of blown a head gasket a year ago and just dont know it. I went out last night and drove it to the grocery store and could smell coolant in parking lot. Not a strong smell, just that sweet smell coming from somewhere. It might be vapors from the exhaust. ** I should of tore the heads off when I had it tore apart. I was going to do it but didnt have the money at the time to buy the stud kit and it looked like a pain in the butt to do it without the cab off. Everything else I could do with the cab on.. Let me know what you think....... Thanks, David
Old 07-19-2013, 06:00 AM

Do you have dried residue around the coolant cap?

The head gaskets are not hard to do with the cab on. The secret (in my opinion) is to have the AC discharged, and then remove the evap housing. With that gone you've got TONs of room on the passenger side. On the driver's side the only problem is the very back stud/bolt. Buy you can either buy or make an extension that makes it a non-issue.

Here's what I would suggest. Take the truck for a drive for a while. stop, and VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY carefully, and SLOWLY unscrew your degas bottle cap. As you unscrew it, does it release a lot of gas and bubble? If so, you've likely got a head problem. And remember, don't assume it is a "blown" head gasket. It could also be you have cracks in the head(s). I had six on one and one on the other.

If there isn't a ton of air rushing out, or bubbling, look around the front of the engine from underneath. See anything wet? I had a lower hose that has rubbed a dimple against the power steering, and developed in pin leak.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorianFarms View Post
Let me ask you this.... Would the new oil cooler I purchased be undr warranty from Ford? It only has 4 or 5 hundred miles on it. I contacted IPR and he just asked me if I was pulling a trailer and then never responded back. I had purchased everything from him. I do have a SCT tuner on it with custom tunes. I have been running it on "economy" but have bumped it up to "extreme race" and did a few burnouts but that was before I tore it apart and updated. I have been gentle with it since the updates. I might of blown a head gasket a year ago and just dont know it. I went out last night and drove it to the grocery store and could smell coolant in parking lot. Not a strong smell, just that sweet smell coming from somewhere. It might be vapors from the exhaust. ** I should of tore the heads off when I had it tore apart. I was going to do it but didnt have the money at the time to buy the stud kit and it looked like a pain in the butt to do it without the cab off. Everything else I could do with the cab on.. Let me know what you think....... Thanks, David
Unfortunately, the oil cooler will not be under warranty either through Ford or IPR unless it's ruptured (telltale is oil in your coolant). The only positive thing I can say is that your programmer didn't contribute to the oil cooler failure. The head gaskets maybe, but definitely not the oil cooler.

Speaking of head gaskets, looking around the degas bottle (coolant reservoir) for signs of a leak, especially around the cap and on the underside of the hood. If you don't find anything there, check the engine valley (the top of the engine where the turbo and oil/fuel filter housings are bolted down).

Old 07-20-2013, 03:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Should the truck be running at idle while unscrewing the cap?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.