Temperature issues, '05 6.0L - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 07:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Temperature issues, '05 6.0L

Hi all... first post. I've already learned a lot here, but have an issue (maybe two) that popped up recently and was hoping for some insight.

I've owned it for one year, currently has 129,xxx miles, all stock except I've added a coolant filter and a scan gauge II... both because of what I have read here. Until recently had no indications of problems, in particular temperature. I've paid close attention to that. Delta is consistently 8-9 degrees at highway speeds. Truck is not a daily driver... used on weekends, for long family trips, and occasionally to work when it hasn't been used in a week or two, just to keep it from sitting too much.

Problem 1: A few months ago when the weather was still cold, I noticed on several occasions while driving the coolant temp would drop very low. Temps were normal, oil ~ 198-199, coolant 191-193, and suddenly the coolant temp would dip to 165-170, remain there for a while, and come back up.

I was concerned at first because of the wide difference in oil vs. coolant, then decided since the oil temp was staying rock steady, it probably wasn't a serious issue. My guess was that the thermostat was sticking open at times, and dumping relatively cooler coolant from the radiator into the system, more than it should have. Does this sound reasonable? I bought a new thermostat, but have not had a chance to install it yet. (Was away on business 4 weeks).

Problem 2: Driving two weeks ago, in a suburban area tooling along at ~ 30 mph, stopped at stop sign, then accelerated gently through intersection and up a moderately steep hill. After 150-200 yards of incline, noticed a 'hot' smell, looked at scan gauge, oil was 208, coolant 206, and trans temp was 188. NEVER saw the trans that hot before. The truck was empty except for 3 passengers. Saw a whisp of blue smoke from under the hood which quickly went away. Shut the truck off, waited ~ 20 minutes, checked all fluid levels under the hood, started it up, drove home 20 miles, temps rock steady at about 198-199 oil, 191-192 coolant, and 140-145 trans. Had a repeat of problem 2 last weekend... all was normal until oil went up to 211, coolant about 208, trans about 170, hotter than first time except for tranny.

WTH? Could both problems be related to the thermostat... first sticking open, now sometimes sticking closed leading to overheat? Why did the tranny suddenly get so hot, especially the first time, when the truck had been tooling along almost at idle on level ground? Just the therrmostat, or is my transmission slipping now? When I saw the whisp of smoke, I thought maybe I had sticking brake caliper, but I repacked the front wheel bearings a few months ago, and the brakes were in great shape.

I'm obviously planning to replace the thermostat, and I'll also change the transmission fluid & filter just in case (& because I don't know when it was done), but I wanted to see if anyone thought something else needed looked at while I was in there doing the thermostat.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin
05 F250 2wd CCSB 129k

TL,DR: Coolant temps drop suddenly in cold weather, then come back up just as quickly // Now oil, coolant & especially tranny temps rising quickly without obvious reason

Last edited by 250md; 07-13-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2013, 09:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

subscribed.

My 2005 suffers similar ECT/EOT temp swings. I unfortunately do not monitor Transmission temps, and I wish I could help with the smoke wisps..
Old 02-03-2014, 03:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I recieved a PM from a member with a similar problem, so I decided I would post an update.

Problem number 1 - intermittant low coolant temperatures:

New thermostat did not solve this problem... no change at all after new thermostat. I did a thorough coolant flush and refill (using both restore and restore plus), and I got a lot of grit and what seemed to be rust particles out of the cooling system, some during the initial drain and some more while backflushing the oil cooler through the port. The usual dark grit and lighter colored sand-like particles. Temperatures seem to be more normal... still not where I would like but below the 15 degree delta and no more sudden, random drops in coolant temp. Coolant is staying around 185-187 with oil 9-13 degrees higher. I will probably flush again in a month or two when the weather is warmer, and replace the oil cooler this summer when I have more time if the delta doesn't decrease more after that.

Problem number 2 - The occasional higher than normal transmission and coolant/oil temps (while not towing)

These were caused by a brake caliper that was dragging intermittantly. I had checked for this before posting, but had not found anything wrong. The wheels all spun freely when I jacked up the truck, but eventually the problem reocurred and I was able to figure out what it was. It was behaving normally most of the time, but at times the driver's side front brake would lock up and when it did, it was dragging pretty hard. The whisp of smoke I saw undoubtably came from the hot brakes. I replaced both front calipers and brake hoses, and looking them over carefully after removing them I found that the driver's side front caliper had a piston that had a lot of corrosion under the boot, preventing it from retracting at times.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

temp sensor could be bad
Old 02-04-2014, 08:53 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250md View Post
I recieved a PM from a member with a similar problem, so I decided I would post an update.

Problem number 1 - intermittant low coolant temperatures:

New thermostat did not solve this problem... no change at all after new thermostat. I did a thorough coolant flush and refill (using both restore and restore plus), and I got a lot of grit and what seemed to be rust particles out of the cooling system, some during the initial drain and some more while backflushing the oil cooler through the port. The usual dark grit and lighter colored sand-like particles. Temperatures seem to be more normal... still not where I would like but below the 15 degree delta and no more sudden, random drops in coolant temp. Coolant is staying around 185-187 with oil 9-13 degrees higher. I will probably flush again in a month or two when the weather is warmer, and replace the oil cooler this summer when I have more time if the delta doesn't decrease more after that.

Problem number 2 - The occasional higher than normal transmission and coolant/oil temps (while not towing)

These were caused by a brake caliper that was dragging intermittantly. I had checked for this before posting, but had not found anything wrong. The wheels all spun freely when I jacked up the truck, but eventually the problem reocurred and I was able to figure out what it was. It was behaving normally most of the time, but at times the driver's side front brake would lock up and when it did, it was dragging pretty hard. The whisp of smoke I saw undoubtably came from the hot brakes. I replaced both front calipers and brake hoses, and looking them over carefully after removing them I found that the driver's side front caliper had a piston that had a lot of corrosion under the boot, preventing it from retracting at times.

I see your in Maryland, outside temps lately have been in the 20-30* during the day, and teens at night. Your current coolant temps look normal to me for this time of the year.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-04-2014, 09:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
I see your in Maryland, outside temps lately have been in the 20-30* during the day, and teens at night. Your current coolant temps look normal to me for this time of the year.
I agree... it's a lot better than it was before the flush but it's still edging very close to the 15 degree delta. It gets to around 13-14 degrees apart sometimes, and a year ago it was around 7-9 degrees apart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.