rough running 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 02:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
rough running 6.0

ive been reading lots of post and talking to people trying to figure out what exactly is going on with my truck and I think I have finaly figured it out but I just wanted to ask on here before i start throwing parts at it

ok truck is 2005 6.0 6 speed only thing that has been done to it is staight pipe and Edge cs. It does also have 2 pyros 1 boost 1 trans temp on the pillar.

Now for the problem ill start the truck of a morning and it will just slightly have a miss/sputter at an idle. normally i will let it warm up but if i start driving it before the oil and coolant gets up to 150* it will spit and sputter horribly, bad anough i cant go over 50mph. Once it over 150* though it runs nice and smooth with full power like nothings wrong, but if i come back to idle even when its warmed up it will still have a slight miss or sputter.

I unhooked my egr valve with the truck off to close it and rule that out.
I unhooked my icp sensor to see if that stopped it and that made no differance.
I have dumped fuel treatment in the last 2 tanks and it seems to work at first but then the issue comes right back

no codes have been coming up but yesterday i checked it and i had a P0269 cylinder3 Contribution/balance. i erased it and it hasnt came back yet

So i am assuming cylinder #3 injector is bad. Am i correct in this assumption or could it be something else. also if it is bad am i better off to replace all 8 instead of just 1 ?

sorry for the long post i just like to be thourough. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2013, 04:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like stiction, or a bad FICM. Have you checked FICM voltages with your EDGE CS while its doing this? Also check your batteries health and the health of your alternator. Easiest thing to try for a stiction issue would be a Rev Ex treatment and switch to a full synthetic motor oil. To go deeper, and for the cost of injector seals,you can pull your injectors, and hand polish your spool valves. Most expensive option... replace all injectors.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:20 PM
Premium Member

Usually one injector wouldn't create what you are seeing, unless you are very sensitive to the miss, but 2 or more would. It might just be that finally the miss was large enough to set the code. Checking all the diagnostic parameters would be a good idea rather than jumping on the injector(s), even though it is more than likely a spool stiction or nozzle issue, being that it completely disappears at normal operating temperature. Who knows, maybe you have some water in your fuel and once the tank gets stirred it is OK.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:23 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelaiman View Post
Sounds like stiction, or a bad FICM. Have you checked FICM voltages with your EDGE CS while its doing this? Also check your batteries health and the health of your alternator. Easiest thing to try for a stiction issue would be a Rev Ex treatment and switch to a full synthetic motor oil. To go deeper, and for the cost of injector seals,you can pull your injectors, and hand polish your spool valves. Most expensive option... replace all injectors.
agreed, what he said.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelaiman View Post
The ficm isnt very old, I bought the truck a couple months ago so all I know is it doesnt look to old. But the volts are usually 48 or 48.5 ocasionally they will hit 47.5 but never lower.
I have been having issues with my interior lights and load light staying on but hadnt thought nothing about it since truck still started fine. I just checked it and its at 11.7. I know thats low but it that my problem?

What r the benifits of full synthetic? I use Rotella 15-40
And what is stiction issues
Old 07-13-2013, 10:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You cant go on looks alone, with a FICM, especailly if its running a "FICM Killer" strategy. Monitoring its logic power and output are a must. You never want to see output below 45v. That is a good way to ruin injectors.
11.7V on a fully charged battery is not a good sign. It is said that the number you should see on a battery after it sits over night should be about 12.9V. But that in itself is not a good indicator of battery health. Individually load testing them is the best way.
Then there is the alternator. The OEM alternator is very undersized. I recently upgraded to a DC Power Engineering 185 amp alternator, and let me tell you, its a whole different truck.
Switching to a full synthetic is beneficial for several reasons. Its lighter weight and easier to move when the engine is cold. It has better lubricity. It is not going to create the varnish on engine parts with tight tolerances, namely, the spool valves of the injectors.
Stiction, is the build up of varnish on the spool valve of the injector and basically slows down the reaction time of the injector, which creates wrong injection timing and poor performance, especially when cold. You should hear the injectors buzz for a few seconds during the glow plug cycle, before you start the truck. This is inductive heating, trying to fend off cold stiction.
If you want more elaborate explanations, you can either google it, or just search here on the org about it. Twoicebergs has some great, very informative and educational links in his sig you should check out about stiction, curing it, and how the injector works.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Probably should of replied much sooner but I had been waiting for my rev ex to show up
I drove to the shop to get it poored in both bottles and drove 15 miles to work. I really didnt pay much attention to how it ran on the mad dash to work but after I got off work I started it to let it warm up like normal and it ran smoother than it ever had. All my problems disappeared. Even when I would try to get on it while it was cold. And no symptoms have even began to come back.

So any one wondering about rev ex yes it does work
And thanks everyone for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.