Coolant in my oil pan. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant in my oil pan.

Early 03 6.0l While changing my injectors I noticed coolant in my oil when I drained the pan. I did have 3 injectors not working properly and it had black/white smoke so much that I could not see the cars behind. Now I am thinking head gasket or oil cooler? Since I am there with the dismantling I guess I should do the bolts as well as new head gaskets. What about the oil pump oil cooler? any brands that wont break my bank. and what do you know about regulated fuel return it is suppose to extend the life of the injectors. Sorry there are a few questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 08:50 PM
Like a boss!

I would try and test the oil cooler. To my knowledge there isn't a thread talking about testing a oil cooler that is removed from the truck. Most people already know its clogged before they removed it so it just ends up in the trash. Maybe if you fill it with water then you would be able to tell if its leaking. Might have to cap one side and somehow add pressure on the other side. It will require some mocking together of parts but it could lead you to a solid answer. Your already pretty deep into it so I would do studs and gaskets along with all the updates on various parts. I chose to just do the blue spring and not a fuel kit. Depends on your power goals for the truck. People who choose to do them prolly love them. They do look cool. Lol.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:25 AM
Premium Member

Coolant in the oil is most likely the oil cooler or cracked heads. You can pressure test the oil cooler, but unless it was brand new and under warranty, just replace it and be done with it.

Head-gaskets may or may not be the problem, but you have indications of a other failures as well. What does your compression test show? In any case, it is an 03 with problems. It is probably time for a head check and repair. ARP studs are a given as a smart choice for the repair.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:57 AM
Like a boss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
Coolant in the oil is most likely the oil cooler or cracked heads. You can pressure test the oil cooler, but unless it was brand new and under warranty, just replace it and be done with it.

Head-gaskets may or may not be the problem, but you have indications of a other failures as well. What does your compression test show? In any case, it is an 03 with problems. It is probably time for a head check and repair. ARP studs are a given as a smart choice for the repair.
Agreed. I would try to test the cooler just to be sure. But it's gonna get replaced and heads tested so you'll be good. If it continues then I would suspect the front cover gasket...??? Where else would the two have a chance to cross contaminate?
Old 07-09-2013, 08:56 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

water in the oil on a 6.0 is not head gaskets , if the egr cooler gets bad enough it can fill the cylinders and get passed the rings , as far as oil cooler goes , oil pressure is higher than coolant pressure , so oil goes to coolant not the other way
you may want to pull your water pump and take a glance at your front cover , decavitation behind the water pump can cause water in oil
Old 07-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

EGR Deleted coolant clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUFFY828 View Post
water in the oil on a 6.0 is not head gaskets , if the egr cooler gets bad enough it can fill the cylinders and get passed the rings , as far as oil cooler goes , oil pressure is higher than coolant pressure , so oil goes to coolant not the other way
you may want to pull your water pump and take a glance at your front cover , decavitation behind the water pump can cause water in oil
The coolant is clean I drained it, the EGR was deleted few years ago so front cover then?
Old 07-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Premium Member

Scruffy is a bit off with the analysis. In a massive failure under pressure oil will go to the coolant side. However, in a small leak, the oil may not go through the crack or failed seal, but thinner water will, after the engine is shut off! The pressure in the coolant system will remain for hours and slowly push coolant into the oil side. Pick the location. The front cover is certainly a possibility as well.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:12 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
Scruffy is a bit off with the analysis. In a massive failure under pressure oil will go to the coolant side. However, in a small leak, the oil may not go through the crack or failed seal, but thinner water will, after the engine is shut off! The pressure in the coolant system will remain for hours and slowly push coolant into the oil side. Pick the location. The front cover is certainly a possibility as well.
Lol ok. I want debate it. But after at least well over 5000 egr and oil cooler jobs ive never seen water in the oil from a oil cooler. 6.0 or 7.3. To the original poster. I would like to see what the outcome is
Old 07-09-2013, 03:08 PM
Like a boss!

All interesting theories.... Keep us updated with the progress plz.

5k egr and oil cooler jobs? I would have been sick an tired of the 6.0 on job #50. Lol.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:27 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laferty View Post
All interesting theories.... Keep us updated with the progress plz.

5k egr and oil cooler jobs? I would have been sick an tired of the 6.0 on job #50. Lol.
lol, I post this as im here at my shop , trying to figure out which one of the 20 6.0 trucks I need to get in next , it gets so repetitious it does get old , but its good to be busy I guess
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.