oil pressure light comes on while driving and truck loses power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question oil pressure light comes on while driving and truck loses power

like the title says truck loses oil pressure at the gauge the light comes on but truck keeps running and will come back to life after about a mile or so. the truck is one of my wifes co-workers and the dealer quoted him 4,000.00 to fix it. I figured I could scrounge a little extra cash by fixing it but im not sure of this problem. he wants an egr delete done which I have done before but this one is new to me. could it be a oil drain back problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2013, 04:56 AM
Serving Our Country!

most likely oil drain back problem causing the gauge to go out, but the lack of power is probably from the high pressure oil system. What year is the truck? If its 03-04 might've lost the pressed bearing in the high pressure oil pump itself. When this happened to me, I had these exact symptoms.

If it were just the gauge without lack of power, I'd say replace the pressure sensor, they're known to go out. Truck wouldn't run without low side oil pressure, but to be sure you have it, take out your oil filter and stick an extension or screwdriver down to the plunger. Have someone crank it over, if the bowl fills up with oil, then your low pressure gears are working. That would at least point you in the direction of the high system again. Best way to find the leak is with an air test through the ICP port and command the IPR closed. If this truck is 05+ then I'm really not sure. Don't know if the STC fitting would kill the pressure on the dash. I only know what I've already been through on mine.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It is an 05 but the more I read last night it sounds like stc fitting may be the culprit if it is broken enough it could cause lpop pressure to go low but I don't really wanna tear into this thing and replace a bunch of parts if there is more wrong my tools are somewhat limited as far as diagnostic stuff but I'm just trying to help the guy and he does want the Egr delete done so I figured I would do the oil cooler and stc fitting hopefully it hasnt ruined the hpop yet. He hasn't driven it in 4 months.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:12 AM
Serving Our Country!

I doubt the hpop is bad..simply because it still runs. If that thing was blown, your injectors would starve and you'd be calling a tow truck. The hpop will be really easy to get to since you're doing an EGR delete. If you're actually replacing the cooler that is with something else..or even capping it off. 8mm bolts on the hpop cover, pry it off..there you have it. If the STC hasn't been upgraded, then it wouldn't be a waste of parts regardless. It will be a good investment and I'd be willing to bet when you pull it out, that its broken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.