Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.0 bad turbo? No boost noise under hood

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  GregsSD 
#1 ·
For months my truck has been running good except when I'm driving at freeway speeds trying to hold a speed with rpm around 1800 to 2100 the motor would surge or buck. Until yesterday I've been able to apply accelerator and power though it into passing gear and it would clear out with black smoke from tail pipe and smooth out and run fine again. Yesterday same thing but this time instead of it smoothing out it let out a loud blow off sound big cloud of black smoke and now I have no boost and a noise under hood every time I give it gas when the turbo should be spooling up. I think the turbo is bad but just don't know enough about diesel to say. That's why I need help from you guys. Don't want to spend the money if the turbo is not the problem. Please help!!

#3 ·
I check that it looks fine. Also made sure down pipe on back of turbo is hooked up still as well as the flex pipe coming from both manifolds. Looks like its hooked up. After I got it home and it cooled of I stared it back up and now white smoke is coming out. Is that the raw fuel left in system from when I limped it home with no boost?

#4 ·
You need to pull out your egr valve and check to see if it is wet and if the intake manifold is wet inside! If it is then you most likely have a cracked egr cooler which is letting coolant into your intake. If this is the case then don't drive it or you could end up with a hydro locked engine and even bigger problems!

Your initial problem could be a sticking egr valve, but white smoke could be a sign of coolant getting into your engine, either from a cracked egr cooler or leaking head gaskets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.