Heavy White smoke until warm then no smoke ? Help!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 07:29 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Heavy White smoke until warm then no smoke ? Help!!!

I have 2006 6.0l that smokes until warm then no smoke. It's heaviest at idle and when you accelerate. It also jumps around sometimes at idle. Has all new injectors, high pressure oil pump, egr delete done and no programmer. It does use oil and has 199,000 miles. It doesn't use any coolant. I just pulled a large boat back from miami and nothing changed under stress. I'm so confused. No codes. Please help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 04:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
An expert can correct me if I'm wrong here, but white can mean moisture is being burned. I JUST went through this myself and what was going on was I had two cracked heads. When the engine was running there was enough pressure being built that exhaust gas was being pushed past the cracks and into the coolant, thus pressurizing the cooling system. Then when the engine was turned off all of that pressure has to go somewhere, so it slowly (overnight) leaked back through the cracks into the cylinders. So, in the morning I would have some while smoke at startup. Every morning. And more than what you'd expect for just ambient condensation in the air.

The quickest way to test is to make yourself a "hero" gage. Not sure why it is called that, but anyway... Get a liquid PSI gage, about 10 feet of hose, a T fitting, and three hose barb fittings. (Napa has all of this) Then disconnect the line that goes from your radiator to your degas bottle, and insert the t-fitting. Run the hose down by the driver's headlight and up to your cab. Now watch the gage as you drive around. If it climbs much more than 5 psi, you've got blown head gaskets, and possible cracked heads.

Good luck

Last edited by Gus_hauler; 07-08-2013 at 05:26 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavol64 View Post
I have 2006 6.0l that smokes until warm then no smoke. It's heaviest at idle and when you accelerate. It also jumps around sometimes at idle. Has all new injectors, high pressure oil pump, egr delete done and no programmer. It does use oil and has 199,000 miles. It doesn't use any coolant. I just pulled a large boat back from miami and nothing changed under stress. I'm so confused. No codes. Please help!!!
White/grey smoke smoke will be oil.
What does the smoke smell like, kinda like fuel? If your using oil and smoke clears after warmed up it could be valve seal, turbo seal, piston rings.

Start the truck and let it run for about half the time it takes to get warm. Let it cool, then pull the exhaust flange and pry it over to see if you can see oil, that may lead you to the turbo seal. Also you may want to do a compression check.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.