Pushrod Position - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pushrod Position

I'm putting my new heads on tomorrow, and came across a dilemma. The manual says that the pushrods should go with their copper-coated top facing up. My either none of my pushrods have the copper coating, or it has worn off. So does it matter which way they go now?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2013, 08:05 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus_hauler View Post
I'm putting my new heads on tomorrow, and came across a dilemma. The manual says that the pushrods should go with their copper-coated top facing up. My either none of my pushrods have the copper coating, or it has worn off. So does it matter which way they go now?

Thanks
Copper goes UP If the copper is gone. I would get new push rods as that is the old style.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:59 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
agreed, I would get new ones

If you look hard you may be able to tell which end goes up. I orient the pushrods straight up in a box with a bunch of holes punched in it so there's no guessing which way I pulled them out.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well, I'm really kind of irritated with my local engine machine shop. I meticulously marked every pushrod with a parts marker as I pulled them out. I put what position they were in, and which side was up. When I took my heads to the shop to be checked out, I also gave them the pushrods to inspect. I wanted them to make sure they were each still straight. The good news was that they were straight, the bad news was that the shop "cleaned" them, and it took all of my markings off.

What I've done is carefully inspected all of the pushrods in sunlight, and found some with traces of copper still on one end. (I couldn't see it under a flashlight, or a shop light, had to use sunlight) I noticed that there was a pattern of scale, or baked oil, or something on these pushrods. The end with the copper tips had this discoloration closer to the tip than the end that contacts the lifter. So for the ones that I couldn't see any copper on, I'm orienting them "dirty" side up to match the others.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I don't post here very often but I do make a living fixing these wonderful engines. I also put push rods in a box with holes punch in it to keep them straight but sometimes things happen and they do get mixed up. I don't like guessing but the budget doesn't always allow all new parts. I have guessed at which end goes up more than once when the copper was worn off and have never had a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.