Bulletproof EGR and Oil cooler question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 07:20 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bulletproof EGR and Oil cooler question

I'm looking at trading in my 1999 7.3 for a 2006 with a 6.0, the price is right it's a solid truck and worth the deal i can get IF it's had one of the aftermarket solutions done. And that is my question, is there a way to tell or identify if the truck has a BPD or othe aftermarket EGR valve, EGR cooler or BPD oil cooler? I have a 2004 6.0 also that i have bee through the whole EGR problem with. I had the EGR delete done on it which has worked great but it seems that is being frowned on now. I think if it has the "stock" EGR system it would probably be a deal breaker for me as paying for parts and laybor for the legal fix would just make the deal not worth it, it's a good deal but not $4,000+ good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2013, 08:05 PM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gparrow View Post
I'm looking at trading in my 1999 7.3 for a 2006 with a 6.0, the price is right it's a solid truck and worth the deal i can get IF it's had one of the aftermarket solutions done. And that is my question, is there a way to tell or identify if the truck has a BPD or othe aftermarket EGR valve, EGR cooler or BPD oil cooler? I have a 2004 6.0 also that i have bee through the whole EGR problem with. I had the EGR delete done on it which has worked great but it seems that is being frowned on now. I think if it has the "stock" EGR system it would probably be a deal breaker for me as paying for parts and laybor for the legal fix would just make the deal not worth it, it's a good deal but not $4,000+ good.
I haven't heard of an aftermarket EGR valve..usually they are removed from the intake, a block off plate is installed and the valves are zip-tied to something.

You can easily tell if it has the BPD kit on it. Check right in front of the turbo. If you see a masterpiece of machine work with two 3/4 inch hoses coming off of it, it has it.

A BPD EGR cooler will be near impossible to tell from a stocker without taking it off....
Old 07-03-2013, 08:45 PM

thanks, i don't know why i put that about the EGR valve in there, i guess i've just been thinking about it to much today trying to make a decission. Ran a carfax on it earlier and came back branded salvage so deals off anyway. I have to say they did a nice job making it look good but i aint paying $15,000 for a 6.0 that has a salvage title.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:03 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
If you take the plastic cover that inbetween the grille and the radiator on top, you will clearly see the BPD oil cooler... Plus there will be a few 3/4 running past the radiator and behind the a/c condenser. Also, you should have a line tapped into the oil fill cap for the engine oil.

FYI- You can also spot head studs on the outside of the cylinder heads... Either cylinder head closest to the radiator and exhaust. You should see a stud coming out of the block with a nut over it. Stock has regular bolts.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:09 PM

Thanks, studs were the first thing i checked because i knew what to look for but i don't know anything about the Coolers so could'nt tell if they were stock also or not.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:01 AM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinEarly99 View Post
Also, you should have a line tapped into the oil fill cap for the engine oil.
Only if it has a bypass oil filtration.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:16 AM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
Only if it has a bypass oil filtration.
, I'm sorry. NYC F-350 is correct. Couldn't he take the oil filter cap off and verify there is no filter? BPD just came out with the kit that utilizes the factory filters, correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6.0, egr, oil cooler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.